Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out just what kind of rims I want to put on my up! for the winter and nothing VW has to offer really tickles my fancy so I'm probably going to just buy a set of steel rims. At first I was thinking I'd just slap a set of naked steel rims on the car but then I was thinking I could dress them up a little with chrome beauty rings and maybe some sort of center cap.

Here's a picture I found online of a Toyota Yaris which illustrates what I'm thinking about.

As far as the center caps go, those are just chromed originals with chromed wheel lugs but maybe something larger like this would be fun..?

Or maybe the full Vdub retro look (minus the white walls)..?

Any ideas or links to Euro online suppliers would be appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea... could look really nice!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wouldn't the wheels look better if they were painted silver? They'd look less like steel wheels and more like alloy wheels.

Nick

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Collas said:
Wouldn't the wheels look better if they were painted silver?
Thought about that route as well but the problem is the winters here in Switzerland can get really mucky at times and car care (washing) drops off considerably. The black wheels would mask road grime and brake pad dust better than the silver.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Do the authorities use salt on the roads to get rid of ice and snow, like they do in the UK? That would soon ravage the paintwork on the wheels, no matter what colour they are painted in the first place.

Nick

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Collas said:
Do the authorities use salt on the roads to get rid of ice and snow, like they do in the UK?
Yes but as reported in the local news they have really reduced the amount and frequency of salting of the roads for environmental reasons. Less traveled roads have become dangerously slippery as a result. One time I did a 180° turn in my Lupo on the approach to a roundabout which ended with my car traveling backwards in the wrong direction through the roundabout..!! Fortunately it was quiet country road at 5am so there was no traffic but needless to say I had to change my undergarments before proceeding..!!

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had that in my old Fiat Cinq, was travelling after some fresh snow on a road that was little more than a side road. Had to wait for a car to go round the corner and down a hill and when I went round the corner he was still there at the top. I broke quite sharply and luckily instead of hitting him I did a 180 and ended up facing up the hill. Needless to say on my way home from work I went another way.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You guys remind me why I hate driving in the snow!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts