Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening peeps.
Has anyone brought their car from 'drive the deal'.
Discounts seem abit too good to be true.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes. 100% faith in them as evidenced by the nice red Move Up! On my driveway. You do not pay anything to them beyond the £500 initial deposit - they put you in touch with the supplying dealer and you deal with them directly. At this stage, you can still adjust the options you require. The dealer that supplied mine was very professional throughout and I opted a driven delivery, rather than collection which was also offered.

Nick

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Nick,

Out of interest, how far were you from the dealer. I wondered if Drivethedeal have several dealers they can use and go to the closest to where you live?

It does seem very good, just like going to your local dealer, with all the advantages of VW finance etc, albeit obviously not local.

The UP I specc'd on there was a £1000 off the the RRP, which is not to be sniffed at.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thank you for the info.

That is amazing that they covered travel and accommodation costs as well..

:)

Edited by: karlak

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow wee so not only did you get a new car you also got yourself a nice little holiday..why would you want to play the lottery.

·
Registered
95 Posts
AlanG said:
Can you buy on a VW PCP through drive the deal?
Yep, you are buying from a VW dealer, so you get any VW finance, servicing or extended warranty offers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with all the above comments.I bought my UP via Drive the Deal and saved nearly £1000.Very easy transaction, nice people to deal with. Although I'm 200 miles awayI collected it and they gave me a tank of petrol.

As a footnote, the dealer has been mentioned in posts above, and as this is a "closed" forum, maybe that's not a problem, but Drive The Deal's web site does ask that the dealers involved are not publicly named. These are big discounts and often cannot be matched by local dealers, and apparently some dealers have got into trouble from manufacturers for supplying DTD.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I expect manufacturers don't want discounting. It seems counter intuitive because you'd think that their priority would be shifting units. However, i expect the deals mean that the dealers make no margin from the customer and instead all their income comes from manufacturer bonuses for exceeding sales targets. Thus the manufacturer is effectively rewarding the dealer for making no profit. The manufacturer might consider this an unviable business model long term which is why they discourage the discounting....along with the fact that discounting harms residuals which ultimately harms the brand.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
AlanG, I think you have it spot on. A dealer will go through DTD to get the year end bonus, despite selling each car at little or no profit. Other dealers trying to sell at the normal price will sell less units, and make less profit. So the net result is no more sales, but less profit for VW, and most dealers.

You could argue that for a car where production exceeded demand, DTD does the car maker a service, by selling units to people who might never buy that model and make. DTD seem to give the biggest discounts for makes like Ford, and Fiat, and the least for BMW, and other posh brands.

I bought my TakeUp from Martins in Basingstoke, last Spring, and they told me they could not get enough cars to satisfy demand, and potential customers were going elsewhere.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not being able to produce enough ups in due time.
Rigidly allocating too few car to dealers who can sell more than their allocation.

That's VW's and their importers' issue, right ?
Nothing their customers should be bothered with / about.

If there's anything I don't like about the up, it's who's importing them.

Belgian importer is limiting what we can buy, even when the car is made to order anyway.
Dutch dealers - who can get versions we don't get in Belgium @ better net prices without Dutch taxes - are refusing export sales to Belgians.
Something VW was already fined over 100 million euro for by the EU commission ... they're still at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I'm also wondering about going through Drive the deal, I have a fox on VW PCP contract now, but I don't seem to be getting any good deals to swap it for an up at any of the dealerships! So - drive the deal, how do I go about buying a car through this website, but still using the equity in my fox (not much, but a little bit) as a deposit?

I think I will go for a High Up!, although I saw a Groove Up! this weekend in the new orangy reddy colour - it was fabulous
! Very tempted...but saving for a house too so I have to be...whats the word...sensible?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hannah

·
Registered
21 Posts
I cheated with mine. I printed the price from DTD and shown it to the dealer. Cheated because they say you can't print the quote unless you pay X amount to DTD. However if you get the quote and proceed to the paying deposit page, it will give a an abbreviated invoice-looking page. My local dealer didn't match the price, but was only £100 more than DTD. Obviously went with the local dealer to save any hassle.

I think I paid 12000 for my 3dr high up BMT with sensor, chrome, city brake packs and night blue metallic paint, plus 3 year servicing... yes, that's it. Free carpets, free case for the Maps and More, and the Travel Box (which contains a bin that fits in the front cup holder, key cover and the actual fold-able box) free as well. Plus a bottle of champagne. I think I've got a pretty good deal there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I showed my local VW garage the price from DTD too - I just did a "print screen" copy of the quote page and took that to the garage - they very nearly matched it and then another VW garage in the vicinity matched that and included the 3 year servicing for a small fee (not quite free). So it is worth doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right, that's it I'm going to print it out and have a go.

Wish me luck!

I'm going for a high up in black. With as many extra things as possible!

Hannah

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you don't ask, you don't receive.

You've got nothing to lose going for it. After all, they're in the business of taking your money, so getting the best deal should always be priority number .

Was utterly ignorant to DTD. Will definitely be perusing the deals in the future when looking to invest in a new car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've bought my Up White through DTD. Tried to negotiate with my local dealer but after 2 hours negotiation they would only knock about £200 off. Phoned DTD and within 15 mins they called me back and confirmed a price with nearly £1000 off and I agreed the deal on the phone; VW dealer called me within 2 hours to confirm everything; car order, specification, any questions I had etc. Collection or delivery; I chose free delivery. All confirmed in writing within days by both DTD and the dealer. Superb service.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts