Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my new red High Up for six weeks and am really pleased with the car so far. Running it in seems to make a difference and I can feel it loosening up and getting faster as the miles clock in.

My biggest gripe is not with the car itself but with other road users.

I'm no boy racer but I drive reasonably smartly but carefully with respect for all others around. However I think other drivers feel a small city car should know its place. Theyhave a preconditioned expectationabout the male orfemaleUp driver and expect them to potter along slowly and be easily overtaken. I find they get aggressive and annoyed when thisdoesn'thappen.

This seems to happen to me at least once a week and I find myself getting annoyed at their reaction. For example last week, I had ample space to overtake a parked car. For some reason the oncoming large Audi really took offence to this and overreacted with flashing of lights, despite the fact that he was still well back from me as I completed the move in a sane and safe fashion.

Is this only happening to me or do others find the same too?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I find whichever car I drive, or when I'm cycling there are a number of other drivers that fit your description but thankfully they are in the minority. I recently had a 300cc twist and go scooter that many drivers mistook for a moped and they would often attempt to cut me up to get in front, it was possibly wrong of me but I'd often accelerate
(Very quickly) to get out of their way, good fun but not without risks.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
This is why more and more people are getting dash cams.< ="text/" ="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7f082dae//helpers/preHelper.js">

It's not just about the insurance companies anymore.

Our company are looking into dash cams for the vehicles. they were also looking into get tracking hard and software so they could track each vehicle in real time?

http://dashcams.co.uk

·
Registered
333 Posts
š—š After reading your, post I had to reply.
I have exactly the same problem when driving my Up.
But not once a week, more like 3-4 for me.
What is it with people who think they can do this.
The thing is though the Up has got power behind its little frame and people are shocked when they see this.
I wouldn't swap it at all....love the car
Kind Regards Phill š—š

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have to say that as both my wife and I have downsized to the Up and a MII that I am in total agreement. I am sure that you will always get those poor and often dangerous drivers but I have to say I have noticed a significant increase in the tailgating and pointless over taking moves!

I recently spoke to a guy at work and he admits to seeing small cars and assuming they are slow automatically decides to overtake them!!!

The joys

·
Registered
12 Posts
totally agree, when I drive the Land Rover discovery, no hassle at all, when I drive the UP (which I think is a brilliant car) then I get other road users puling out in front, cutting in on motorways - (the gap was there for a reason and its not because the UP is slow!), the best response is the be thankful that they are in front so you can see what they are going to do next and avoid it!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think it is also a matter of the colour ...
Red and Blue up!s will have more problems than Black and Tungsten Silver up!s ...
Black cars "look faster", red and blue more than "toys" ...
I know that this sounds stipid - but that's how our brain works ...

I have a "small" Suzi GS500F with only 50 BHP.
But it has a full plastic windshield with integrated lamp.
Car drivers react totally different to when I ride my "old fashioned looking" Estrella.
And imagine you see a Kawasaki bike in "Snake Green" (bright, "dangerous" green) behind you. It is different to a bike in dark British Racing Green ...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Generally I think the standard of driving on the roads is poor here in the UK.

Yesterday I was turning right onto my road (right of way over traffic looking to turn right from my road) and a driver had gone onto the right hand side of the road to turn right (no idea why).

I turned into her then just stopped the car in front (as is my right as I'm on the right side of the road and she was on the wrong side). Driving her A4 she just looked at me as though I was in the wrong for some odd reason even though I was driving on the correct side of the road. I presume she was on the wrong side because she wanted to quickly merge onto the main road even though that is extremely dangerous and really stupid. Eventually I squeezed past her (advantage of a small car) giving her a look of disgust (naturally she was just sticking her fingers up at me).

But generally I agree with the OP - People presume that they have right of way over the UP even though nobody has right of way beyond the usual laws of the road. I've had people driving really close up behind me when doing the speed limit which is something I didn't experience from anyone except Audi drivers when I had my Alfa.

Just remember how much money you're saving on a daily basis by driving it and how you can spend that extra money on more holidays etc! :)

Edited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've got used to it and simply let everyone overtake me if they wish. Less fuel and nerves spent, less risk of anything happening to the precious up! (or worse).

To be honest, it's not that rare for other cars to have 5-10x up!s engine power, while only 2-3x up!s weight. From their perspective, they would really feel the up! being slow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses - great points made. Yes maybe the red colour doesn't help, but I still love my colour choice.

Just like StormTrooper's colleague admits, lots of drivers automatically expect to overtake the Up.

I haven't retaliated to any of this poor driving, but I am at fault because I find myself driving more assertively in traffic situations to ensure I'm not taken for a patsy. I just don't have the maturity shown by others like ptae2000e.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Fidel_Castronaut said:
Generally I think the standard of driving on the roads is poor here in the UK
Go and have a look at the (now thousands of) dashcam videos on youtube, particularly those from Russia and you may change your opinion!

·
Registered
540 Posts
TurboTomato said:
Fidel_Castronaut said:
Generally I think the standard of driving on the roads is poor here in the UK
Go and have a look at the (now thousands of) dashcam videos on youtube, particularly those from Russia and you may change your opinion!

I'm talking comparatively here, mainly.

In the immortal words of Alan Partridge, "Britain has some of the safest roads in Europe. But this isn't Britain, ZIS IS DE AUTOBAHN!"

·
Registered
128 Posts
I often find I get people sitting on my tail trying to push me along especially on bendy country roads at about 40/45 mph. After a while I get fed up and with the good handling of the Up! in mind I increase my speed to 60 and watch them struggle to keep up with me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same problem with a FIAT Panda Eleganza.
I bought one with all the extras I had become used to in larger cars.
I had given huge consideration to the downsizing. I put huge effort in to researching that car before buying it and was perfectly happy with it until I brought it bac to my locality where the standard of driving is poor. I was shocked by how inconsiderate and often down right rude other drivers were. I hadn't changed my mode of driving. The only thing which had changed was the car.

I had similiar issues with my original Mini Cooper. You'd try to overtake cars dawdling along 10mph below the national speed limit and they'd accelerate beyond the speed limit to prevent you overtaking leaving you in the outside lane with nowhere to go.

Some people are just arseholes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've definitely noticed people deliberately going into the 'wrong' lane alongside me at lights, roundabouts etc just to get ahead of me and swap back into my lane.

Doesn't bother me at all, the up is what it is..in fact, I'm driving more sensibly and sedately in this car than any of my previous vehicles. Quite relaxing actually just to pootle around like this.

So basically, ignore or laugh inside at the road users who engage in this kind of behaviour :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
upmancotswolds said:
I've definitely noticed people deliberately going into the 'wrong' lane alongside me at lights, roundabouts etc just to get ahead of me and swap back into my lane.

Doesn't bother me at all, the up is what it is..in fact, I'm driving more sensibly and sedately in this car than any of my previous vehicles. Quite relaxing actually just to pootle around like this.

So basically, ignore or laugh inside at the road users who engage in this kind of behaviour :)

This is exactly what happened me last week. I turned right into a roadway safely but unexpectedly ahead of the oncoming Audi that was still well back.

He zoomed up within inches of my rear bumper and then crazily overtook me on the roundabout before accelerating away.... presumably happy that he had reasserted his authority.

It annoys the **** out of me

·
Registered
189 Posts
Although,I do find that it if I'm waiting to join a queue, more people let me out when I'm driving my light blue up.However, lots of people pull out on me obviously thinking that a little car can't go that fast.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sounds a little bit of double standards if you like being let out but don't like people pulling out in front of you !!! Sorry just read your post again and think I understand what you mean. Happy motoring. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand what Frank means.

Scenario of letting cars in:
There is a subtle but distinct difference between (1) someone smoothly nipping into a queue ahead of you where you have left a reasonable gap or (2) aggressively pushing in ahead of you partly because bullies disregard small cars.

Scenario of being let in:
As a former Merc owner I can see the upside (!) of a small car compared to a "status" car which has the baggage of some drivers being resentful about letting you in. However this is offset by others who don't want to let a small car in ahead of them.

All juvenile stuff but sadly true.
Edited by: DesB

·
Registered
90 Posts
If its any consolation to the OP, it get it too in my Navara - people assume "big bumbling tractor who's going to crawl along" - and they really really dont like it when I overtake them!
Also see it in my "play car" - and they really really dont like it when I let them overtake!

I've been driving 30yrs now (sheesh is it that long?) and driving standards have significantly deteriorated over that time. There is selfishness, impatience and down right aggression with people significantly more distracted whilst trying to drive.

We've ordered "Alan" , our Up! for my kids to learn to drive in, and , if I'm honest, really quite concerned about the state of traffic compared to when I learned. Hopefully I can teach them, were already doing commentaries, to ignore the idiots, drive in a relaxed way and get to their destinations in no less time, significantly less stressed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts