Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their Up recalled to have the drivers door lock rectified?My Up is going in for this work next week.

·
Registered
705 Posts
No, but I've always found it a two-or-three-goes-to-get-it-shut-properly kind of door. I thought that was down to strong seals and poor technique, but it is exasperating when you're trying to be quiet when heading off to work at odd hours.

Nick

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
jezyg said:
My passenger door needs a good slam to shut properly.
My first polo was like that, vw told me it's because it has a/c and when all doors are shut it's air tight so shutting the last door needs a good old slam to shut it! My second polo exactly same model didn't have a problem and then my golf had a/c but didn't have a problem but now my up does, the last door closing needs a good slam to close it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
My drivers door needs a good slam too, I find if I push it shut using the handle its better than just slamming it. Seems like thats how they are, the demo I drove was the same.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Iguess little recalls happen all the time that don't affect the whole lot. It may just be a very small batch of parts that has an issue, and they then trace those parts back to the particular cars they were used on and swap them.

In a way, its good to see them doing it rather than just ignoring the little issues that may never get noticed.

I wonder what the problem was with your door?? perhaps let us know if they tell you.
Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
237 Posts
In small cars this is always a problem, because the "door size"/"inside air room" ratio is much higher than in bigger cars. When the door is shut, it presses the inside air.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Itzben said:
jezyg said:
My passenger door needs a good slam to shut properly.
My first polo was like that, vw told me it's because it has a/c and when all doors are shut it's air tight so shutting the last door needs a good old slam to shut it! My second polo exactly same model didn't have a problem and then my golf had a/c but didn't have a problem but now my up does, the last door closing needs a good slam to close it!

I don't have A/C on my Take Up, that comment seems a bit of a yarn to me, as if it was airtight you would suffocate.

It would also make the car watertight so you could have floated through the recent floods. It may be true that there is an element of air pressure at work but the air would not become that compressedsurely????

I put mine down to tight seals and the current weather conditions. Not had it open a car before however.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Itzben said:
..... vw told me it's because it has a/c and when all doors are shut it's air tight...
THAT can't possibly be right! Remember when 'flow through ventilation' was first introduced back in the 1970s? Cars had one-way vents (used to be situated in the rear C pillar (the Cortina actually made a feature of them!) Later they were hidden away behind the wrap-around part of the rear bumper at each side of the vehicle. In any case, when you drive along with the windows shut and the fan on (with or without a/c) if there was no escape for the incoming air, the pressure would build up! So, to say the car is air tight is totally incorrect! (Yes dogs can suffer from overheating in a closed car on a hot day but that's not because of air tightness.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any of you ever been in an original, unrestored and mint early Beetle? They are pretty airtight, if you try slamming a door with all windows shut its near impossible!
Im talking pre 65 models!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
Itzben said:

..... vw told me it's because it has a/c and when all doors are shut it's air tight...
THAT can't possibly be right!  Remember when 'flow through ventilation' was first introduced back in the 1970s?  Cars had one-way vents (used to be situated in the rear C pillar (the Cortina actually made a feature of them!) Later they were hidden away behind the wrap-around part of the rear bumper at each side of the vehicle.  In any case, when you drive along with the windows shut and the fan on (with or without a/c) if there was no escape for the incoming air,  the pressure would build up!  So, to say the car is air tight is totally incorrect!  (Yes dogs can suffer from overheating in a closed car on a hot day but that's not because of air tightness.)
O I thought they where talking crap lol I'm finding out from this forum that dealers will find any easy excuse to give to the public!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only problem I have had with the lock was when the lock was activated and I couldn't shut the the doorsecure, I eventually pushed the lock mechanism to 'open' and it shut fine.No problems since ( 3 weeks ago).

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anyone is any doubt as to whether the problem is due to 'air resistance' then wind your window down and try again. If there's still a problem then it's not air resistance, which sounds highly unlikely anyway, and the problem could be due to the position of the door catch. I note the catch is held by two bolts and the catch should be moveable to allow adjustment. If it is positioned too far in, then the door will meet too much resistance before the door mechanism can close on the catch with the result that it will require a hard push to close it. I've had this problem in other cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts