Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

First of all, this seems like a lovely place for everything up related :)

I'm making it my financial end goal to be able to afford an up (am waiting on the GT if the truth be told). But I do have a bit of an issue first and I need to see if it's going to shatter my dreams of being an up owner or not.

Let's not beat about the bush here, I'm a fat guy :p I'm 6ft2 and a smidge over 26stone. My question is obvious: will I be comfortable behind the wheel and is it suitable for people of my size?

I guess a more appropriate question really would be is there anyone else here who's tall/very tall, wide/very wide, or both ideally?

For some unknown reason, despite having been this size for a long time and having no plans to change that, I still seem to fall in love with little cars like the up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes. I'm 6", and of a similar weight to you. The up is plenty comfortable for me, and there's plenty of headroom. I do have the high up, so the drivers side is height adjustable, but the passenger seat is fine. The GT seats might be more close fitting though, if it ever appears...

I'd say that the cabin feels more spacious than many larger cars.There's plenty of seatbelt room too, which as a fatass I always appreciate :)

I'd suggest taking a test drive though, so you can see for yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I'm 6'3" , not as heavy but yes, the up will fit no problem, and be comfortable....I'd advise avoiding the 5door though as the front doors are that bit smaller and I have my seat pretty far back (still fits a 12 yr old behind me)

when I drive Mrs PD's 5 door, I'm forever catching myself on the door pillar getting in and out....no such probs with the 3 door though, huge doors and buckets of space!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Agreed, the doors on the 3 door version are massive, my dad struggles to get in and out of his current car after having 2 knee replacements last year, he says my car it is a lot easier and is looking at getting one in september now as has is eye on the dark blue move up version.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's awesome to hear, cheers guys :)

Glad to hear there are other big guys like me who enjoy smaller cars. Especially relieved to hear that it does feel like a larger car inside. I'm coming from a 2006 Fiat Grande Punto and I'm finding that's about the smallest I can go cabin wise at the moment, so here's hoping the up is at least as spacious (or feels it). And am definitely looking at 3-doors, as the same thoughts about getting in and out had crossed my mind. Plus I prefer the subtle difference in looks too.

Am hoping to go at least sit in one in the showroom on Friday. It's going to be a good 12 months or more before I can actually afford one, but it's more about giving myself something to aim for financially to keep me on track. So I figured going and sitting in it and cooing over it will make me more determined to get one :)

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
and you'll hopefully be able to choose a GT by then!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's hoping!

One of my best friends runs and maintains the VW Ireland website, so I've told him (several times) to let me know the SECOND he sees or hears any mention of the GT. He has confirmed there's a long wheel base version coming though?

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
LWB UP???????? tell more

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's about all I know at the moment lol. He's simply said that among all the website codes and product names, along side the standard ups and special edition ups, there's a LWB one on it's way. I assumed at first it's the Taigun, but after looking at the big bundle of concepts they unveiled not long ago, it wouldn't surprise me if it's going to be based on the Space up concept, to combat the Mini Clubman and Fiat 500L etc. Seems to be an emerging trend for 'big small cars' :/

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
OOOOHHH thanks, exciting stuff! hope we get the TAIGUN in the UK,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I reckon we should. What with the Nissan Juke and others becoming runaway successes they'd be mad not to!

·
Registered
705 Posts
It'll be the hearse version, or Time's up!

Nick

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha! That's what my Dad calls his Mini Clubman - A hearse for midgets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yea it fit good for a Tale Men like Me 1.9meters are 6 Ft ?? Dont no exactly as we use Meters !

I have taken a Seat in 5 and 3 Doors and taken a 3 Doors as i more comfrable. Just the Belt is sometimes a bid high, i miss the Higer and deper of the Belt i have in my Touran.

Also for long trip suitable the seats i make it ones to Grenoble (france) about 300 km One way and i feel good ! No Back Pain !

Greetings

from Switzerland

Jarre

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Greetings Jarre, 6 feet is precisely 182.88 cm

I'm 191 cm , 6'3"

·
Registered
53 Posts
You'll have no problem with the height anyway- I'm 6ft 4ins (193 cm for European and Australian types!) I'm only 12 stone though...

I don't even have the front seat all the way back so I would imagine it'd fit anyone up to 6ft 6!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blimey that's good then! I've got the seat all the way back in my Grande Punto by comparison and it still feels like I'm sitting on a dining room chair!

Having said that, looked at Parkers earlier and turns out despite the Punto being a much bigger car outside, it's only 1.4cm wider and the wheelbase is like 9cm longer, not a lot when you think about it I guess. Surprising how VW have managed to fit so much into the size it is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's pretty impressive- especially in the front. There's not much room in the back (3dr) but my two small dogs fit in it and that's all that ever uses it!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's fine by me. Decided long ago that I'd be buying a car for me and me alone - if anyone particularly needs a lift then they'll have to live with it :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts