Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No no no... I haven't been a bad boy while driving my up! (if only it was so simple!). Problem is I was diagnosed at the end of last year with cataracts. They said don't worry.. half the population has it and doesn't realise it, you might not need to do anything about it for another 20 years...!! Now fast forward 6 months to a few weeks ago and now I'm seeing double out my right eye and the left eye thinks I'm living in a Turkish steam bath..!! The doctors at the eye clinic were surprised how quickly it progressed to this stage and told me I am now forbidden to drive until my sight problem is rectified (cataract operation).

Bad enough I have to park my new up! for a couple or three months but I'm off work 4 weeks starting the end of this month and planned on driving across France to the channel tunnel, through England then Scotland. Wow.. this really blows all my holiday plans completely out of the water.

At least I have a train station only 250 meters from my apartment so I'll still be able to get around and go to work..

Oh well.. now I'll be able to put that incredible high gloss wax job on it that I've been wanting to do since I took possession of the up!.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Oh no... that's terribly bad luck and timing :(

Hope it is sorted soon so you carry on enjoying the UP!

All the best

·
Registered
705 Posts
I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.

Nick

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hope you are well enough to drive your lovely up! really quickly

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Get well soon. I am a bit squeamish when it come to eyes, so is wouldn't wish an eye operation on anyone

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bugbabe34 said:
I am a bit squeamish when it come to eyes

I wish I was "only a bit" squeamish..!! Don't think I slept more than 2 hours last night after getting the news of this yesterday. My mom had the same operation not more than 2 weeks ago, she just turned 92 four days ago..!! I told her she's my hero and role model and she's given me the strength to do this. Those Glaswegians, they're a tough breed.

·
Registered
956 Posts
That's terrible news for you but on a positive note, a friend of mine recently had his cataracts operated on in two separate operations which he said were done quickly and virtually pain free and his eyesight is now excellent again.

I hope your experience is as pain free and stress free as his (he's 64 by the way).

·
Registered
604 Posts
so sorry to here that, my wife has diabeticretinopathy in both eyes and had cataracts diagnosed in same trip to docstotallydestroyed her as the dr she seen did not seem to care in the slightest,cataracts is now sorted and she can still drive (was never told she could not tho)she was seeing double and misted same as you the double vision never got corrected by thesurgery but her brain has adapted and now only double when she is tired. only 28 at the time now 33

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vwild1 said:
No no no... I haven't been a bad boy while driving my up! (if only it was so simple!). Problem is I was diagnosed at the end of last year with cataracts. They said don't worry.. half the population has it and doesn't realise it, you might not need to do anything about it for another 20 years...!! Now fast forward 6 months to a few weeks ago and now I'm seeing double out my right eye and the left eye thinks I'm living in a Turkish steam bath..!! The doctors at the eye clinic were surprised how quickly it progressed to this stage and told me I am now forbidden to drive until my sight problem is rectified (cataract operation).
Well it's been 4 months to the day that I first posted this and my poor up! has been quietly waiting in the garage. The first operation will be on Tuesday the 11th and hopefully soon after I'll be able to take my little up! for a run to blow out the cobwebs.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hope it goes well for you, good luck

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hope the op went well yesterday and you're that much closer to getting back in your lovely up!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
clowesa said:
Hope the op went well yesterday and you're that much closer to getting back in your lovely up!

Thanks, the op went fine but today when they unveiled my eye for the first time everything looked foggy and blueish. Doc said it appeared that the cornea suffered some bruising but it should clear up in a week or two.
In the meantime my up! is staying warm and clean in the garage as it's reallyCOLD(and snowy) out there in Switzerland right now..!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great to hear it went well, hope the recovery goes well too! That Up! will be roaring to go in a while, just like it's owner! Just be careful on your first miles :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts