Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What do you guys think about the whole driving a cars parts in during the first 1000 miles?

My dealer said when I got mine not to worry about it as nowadays new cars are done in a better way then before and won't require it. I would still see it fit to take it easy to start off with to have the major parts settle in right? Would also the 1000 miles be a good marker before you can actually floor it? Experiences? Opinions?

The Ups engine seems to get looser at around 1.5-2k miles mark. Done this now with 2 Ups and its identical

·
Registered
462 Posts
As dealer says don't need to run in,but I would not drive it like you stole it if you do this brakes will glaze up and sqeek

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Agree, we are approaching 5000 miles in 2.5 months!!!!, gentle for first 500 or so and the engine has now freed up a treat, much quieter, smoother and pulls really well, I think the wee 3 cylinder VW mill is a gem!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't labour the engine, no full power, gentle on the brakes and clutch. Steadily increase maximum speed and eventually giving it a good blast.

Warm your engine up in gently the morning and drive gently for the last mile.

Using that technique I got 205,000 miles out of a 999 cc FIAT engine and it was still going strong. Still burning not too much oil.

I think modern engines aren't too bad as the fuel injection reduces the accelerator pump issue. This reduces the fuel washing oiloff the bores, but allows you to drive quite quickly with a cold engine. Warm the engine up gently. Once the oil is hot it flows around the engine better. Although again modern oils work well at low temperatures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our dealer said the engine was run in on the bench hence no need for the first 500 mile oil change as it's "normal" oil in the engine, not "running-in" oil. He also said not to rag its guts out, though, for a while. To be fair, I've only ever been over 4,000 rpm twice or thrice, I'm still getting a (different) thrill out of getting 55 mpg (the car it replaced got about 17 mpg). It's quite possible to make adequate progress without being silly. Part of me thinks we might as well have got the 60bhp version, but I know I'd never have been happy with it really!

·
Registered
47 Posts
As the extra power of the 75bhp version does not really cut in until higher revs are reached then the extra power is meaningless until owners are comfortablethat they have driven far enough to take the revs beyond 4000rpm.
My dealer said don't exceed 3500rpm for the first 1000 miles although have occasionally exceeded this.

We've only done 350miles in 3 weeks so another 6 weeks to go!

Maybe I should do a trip up to John O'Groatsand back?

vup rider

·
Registered
604 Posts
When mine was new (under 500 miles) I tryed to overtake another car doing 50, it fell flat and almost did not manage it,
Now after it has been run in not a problem.
Imo it does ma ke a differance. Don't dive crazy for first 1000mile,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts