Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<h1 ="story-er"="" style="color: rgb80, 80, 80; font-family: Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif; line-height: 34px; margin-top: 3px; margin-right: -160px; margin-bottom: 13px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; clear: both; : relative; width: 623px; font-weight: bold; letter-spacing: -1px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; ">France orders breathalyser for motorists</h1>Even if you don'tconsume alcohol of any kindyou still have to carry a breathalyzer in your vehicle while traveling within France..!!

What's next, child seats must be securely fastened in the vehicle at all times even if you don't have children..?!?!

Talk about moronic (profit motivated and worthless) road safety legislation..!!
<h1 ="story-er"="" style="color: rgb80, 80, 80; font-family: Arial, Helmet, Freesans, sans-serif; line-height: 34px; margin-top: 3px; margin-right: -160px; margin-bottom: 13px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; clear: both; : relative; width: 623px; font-weight: bold; letter-spacing: -1px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; ">
</h1><div style="color: rgb80, 80, 80; ">

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They start at £4.99 in Halfords. Honestly, how good can these be for that price?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bugbabe34 said:
They start at £4.99 in Halfords. Honestly, how good can these be for that price?
Apparently good enough to get you out of paying an ‚¬11 fine..!!

By the way, a co-worker bought one in France last week and he said it cost him ‚¬1.50.

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
We always pay more for things in this country, par for the course. Although Halfords is a total rip off in my opinion anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Halfrauds have the occasional bit of brass shining in the muck....some of their pro sockets etc are good value though I'm a tool junkie and have my extensive toolkit built up over the last 35+ yrs..Mainly Snap-on, Facom, Elora and Festool kit....and my trusty Norbar torque wrench......tools, Buy cheap, buy twice. My first decent toolset was an Elora socket set bought to work on my bicycle ! I was about 11 yrs old!...still going strong despite years of use (abuse) !

NEVER trust the advice halfrauds give....useless at best, dangerous at worst (allegedly and only my opinion)

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Halfrauds? Never heard them called that before, but it sure fits.

I bought some cleaning stuff from there at the weekend, my daughter said "buy this", some of the lads she knows uses it and "it smells nice." £11.99, I thought OK, it was quite a big bottle and she told me it was good. Then I received a Screwfix catalogue in the post and it was reduced from £6.99 to £4.99!!!! I mean, Screwfix? Hardly a car accessories shop is it?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Be very careful what breathalyser you do buy, as there are unscrupulous people out there trying to sell devices that aren't suitable for use in France. If you buy one and get caught, you'll be fined. And, like the fluorescent jacket, it must be in the car, not in the boot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18662555

Nick

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you look at the press (including Nick's quote) we won't have a problem yet:-
<<Foreign drivers are included in the new rule, however there is a grace period
until November.>>

All of the ports and ferries are looking forward to fleecing us all, if you do buy them make sure that they are French specific and have NF on them, you will also need a pair of them as once you use one you need another !!

I will be going to France this weekend & Brittany ferries sent me an email kindly suggesting that I buy a breathaliser from them (I did buy some at Amazon).

The other recent French Law is that Satnavs that show speed camera locations are illegal, however the satnav companies agreed to rename them as safety zones and everyone is happy (especially the satnav companies as you need a software or device update for that !!)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Even if law is now, no police control will be done before October...
In France, one is around 1,5 ‚¬.
Some funny companies try to sell them 3 or 4 times normal price...

·
Registered
421 Posts
How is it going to work and why do you need them?

If the police stop you because they think you're drunk then surely they'd give you a breath test?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ZumbaQueen said:
If the police stop you because they think you're drunk then surely they'd give you a breath test?
Apparently the French government think their people will stop to give themselves a breath test and upon failing the test they will then drive themselves to the nearest police station to turn themselves in for drink driving..

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It does seem a bit mad. Those people who would drink enough to be over the limit and think about driving will never use a breathalyzer. Those who don't drink would be more likely to use one, to see if it works properly

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bugbabe34 said:
It does seem a bit mad. Those people who would drink enough to be over the limit and think about driving will never use a breathalyzer.
Exactly..!!

Here in Switzerland they say 1 glass of wine or 1 beer for the average person will keep you within the legal drinking limit. Drink 2 and it's highly likely you've gone over the legal limit.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Only safe limit is not to drink at all! Here endeth the lecture.

I saw something on tv the other day that made a breathalyser part of the ignition where effectively you tested poitive the car wouldn't start, I thought that was good. Maybe the French have bought into loads of companies that make them - they have to be special 'NF' marked ones

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Here here Zumbaqueen. I never have any alcohol if I'm driving. I don't agree with it at all and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything happened if I had consumed even a drop

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know what you mean, sends shivers down your spine to think about it.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Having spent many formative years patching up the idiots who drive drunk and worse still, their innocent victims , I have to say Zumbaqueen has it right. If driving......it's orange juice or similar, even 1 alcoholic drink reduces your reaction time enough to make the difference between life & death

Ok, off my soapbox now!

·
Registered
66 Posts
As we say, "boire ou conduire, il faut choisir" !

·
Registered
421 Posts
Too true Filparis!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts