Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to have the C-shaped DRL lights always on, idealy without having to rewire them. They turn on when you turn the key but when you turn on the positions or the low beams they turn off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for that answer as well. I see that version with autolight has the function so it should be doable...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well mine is an early model (2014), and they turn off completely. I assume there is some sort of obd plug tool that can code.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes, mine are LEDs, but I don't think that was the case in 2014! I'm pretty sure they used bulbs. Some models of the UP definitely switch between bright (21W) and dim (5W), depending on whether the headlights are on (and all the ones with LEDs do that). It can obviously be done with just switches or done in software - not sure which.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty sure there are no bulbs in here, no matter year of model:

But question remains, is it possible to make hardwiring to ACC?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Are you saying that all Ups have LEDs DRLs only?

Note that the part listing for the LED DRL quoted above says:

Application Guide*:
E-UP! 2017 MODEL YEAR ONWARDS (AA)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hmm - that caused me to check mine (2018) and as I thought they do stay on but they do dim a bit when headlights are on. I checked that it wasn't just me seeing a sort of whiteout effect - they definitely do dim. And they are described as LEDs in both owners and workshop manual.
I wonder why they bother dimming them - they are very bright and with headlights would add handy near-field and sideways lighting like old fashioned fog lamps.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think it is about light output regulations.
Mind you, the LED DRLs, while on full brightness are very bright, they are not at all focussed (they are to be seen, not to see), so are no real use when the headlights are on. Except maybe if a headlamp bulb blows....

=============
As an aside, I just replaced my rear reversing lights for LEDs. The original 10W filaments were hopeless at illuminating anything behind me, so I could barely see what was causing the parking sensors to bleep frantically at me when reversing in our leafy Close... But now, I can see way more! Oh yeah, it's only a crouching, evil, sword-wielding orc, so don't worry about the sensor bleeps. Etc..

Possibly of dubious legality but as they are only used when I'm reversing, I don't think it'll be a big issue, or more importantly, blind other road users.

You have to be careful with physical sizing if you change these, as they have to protrude through fairly small holes into the rear lenses.
These are what I bought (from eBay though) and they work excellently. No idea how long they last, but not used much.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes - back last year I replaced all rear bubs with LEDs - no problem with Canbus or the like. Here are the original bulbs. The total power draw is now way less and the brightness is way more. Headlights and indicators are still normal but I bought better headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just to note that my 2019 Citigo has a very different topology! Also has 3x P21/5 twin-filament bulbs per side!
Yes it seems that even between VW versions there are plenty of differences. Anyway substituting (decent) LEDs shoud not upset its 'brain'.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts