Up Owners Club banner

DRL/Sidelight Replacements

109K views 197 replies 71 participants last post by  gramacar 
#1 ·
I've been looking into replacements for the DRL/Sidelight combination
bulbs as the standard ones are a bit too yellow for my liking.

The bulbs are twin filament 12v 5w/21w 580 types and there are quite a
few options available. I finally came across
these which seem to fit the bill.

Any views ?

#3 ·
You can get a 580 wedge fitting LED for about £7each but i dont know how long they would last as a DRL i think they are for a stop & tail application but could be worth a try.

#5 ·
philmar said:
You can get a 580 wedge fitting LED for about £7each but i dont know how long they would last as a DRL i think they are for a stop & tail application but could be worth a try.
The 580 bulbs are dual-purpose for both stop and tail and for sidelights. I may check with the supplier for guidance on the application.

#7 ·
RDA said:
I've been looking into replacements for the DRL/Sidelight combination
bulbs as the standard ones are a bit too yellow for my liking.
Agree with you totally about the DRL's being too yellowish especially after I installed a set of the Philips BlueVision Ultraheadlight bulbs. I found the following w21/5w MTEC Xenon Super White which I've ordered a set of to try out.

#9 ·
#10 ·
carpy said:
Just bought these :D
I saw those but passed them up because they're only single wattage (5w), not dual like the originals (21w/5w). It also stated "for interior use only" on the box. Plus on that ebay page it warns about many other possible problems such as canbus or dashboard warning lights.
Let us know how they work out, I'm especially curious as to what they do when the light switch is in the off position (DRL) while the car is running.

#11 ·
I have been doing a load of research on this and have reached the conclusion that I need to get a life.

The type of bulb used in our cars is known as a T20, a 580 or a 7443 and is a 5w/21w. The same bulb is used in some Alfa Romeos, Vauxhall Corsa's and Insignias, so their owners club sites have revealed a lot of useful information.

The main bulb which these people have tested and opted for is the Polarg M13 which is made of blue glass and gives off a very white xenon-effect light. The downside is that they are nearly impossible to find in the UK and are being ordered from the US.

This is an alternative, it's not the genuine article, but comes from a reputable trader.

#12 ·
vwild1 said:
Agree with you totally about the DRL's being too yellowish especially after I installed a set of the Philips BlueVision Ultraheadlight bulbs. I found the following w21/5w MTEC Xenon Super White which I've ordered a set of to try out.

They came in the mail today, changed one to make a comparison and WOW, what a difference..!! When the headlights are on, the DRL's are in the 5w position so they emit a whiter (but somewhat subdued) light which does make the Philips BlueVision Ultra headlights stand out but when the headlights are off and the DRL's are in the 21w setting then WOW... BRIGHT WHITE they are..!! I highly recommend these.

Edited by: vwild1

#13 ·
Which type of MTEC 21W/5W Xenon Super White DRL's do you
have? The closest I have come to finding them are MTEC 380 P21/5w S25 (1157)
Super White Xenon bulbs.

#14 ·
#16 ·
I found these but I'm nervous about ordering them!

http://www.hq-auto-lighting.co.uk/580-t20-7443-w21-5w/

I'd like to change the DRL bulbs since I am changing the other bulbs up front! Has anyone in the UK changed the DRL bulbs yet and if so what did you replace them with/where did you buy them?

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.