Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As par tof my job I've travelled a few times to Scotland, and they gave me a loan car for a couple of days. The first time I had a Merc B class. Comfortable, quiet, but dull to drive. The second time (yesterday and today) I had an A class. Yuck. I banged my head getting in and out. It feels cramped in front. It is no quieter than the UP, to my great surprise. I don't like the gears or the steering, or the feel. Yes the cabin is much more refined, with better plastics, and no bare metal on the doors, but really that is just candy, and fundamentally I yearned to get back to my little Up, with its roomy cabin, and perky little engine. On paper the A class was more powerful. It didn't feel like it. The only advantages I can see are the much bigger boot, and the badge, but that means expensive servicing. I can see that the B class does have a lot more room, and will have its appeal, but the A class is a damp squib in my opinion. I was surprised to find it just did not walk over the Up as I had expected.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You know Leif, VW Up is a super little car with a feel of a bigger car at a small price. You just can't beat that equation. I was totally blown away on a test drive and I normally drive an Aygo and a BMW 3 series. When I retire in about 10 years time, I will be more than happy to just own one car and it will be in the style of VW Up.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
we changed the pld a class for my mrs 5 door....night and day....yes the A was built with 'nicer' trim etc but what a dog to drive, it was the cvt one and it was awful!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Itzben said:
Was it the new A class?

No idea, it was just the company's car for visitors.

Privatedoc said:
we changed the pld a class for my mrs 5 door....night and day....yes the A was built with 'nicer' trim etc but what a dog to drive, it was the cvt one and it was awful!
This was the manual, and it just didn't feel as perky as my TakeUp. Perhaps so much space was taken up by the fancy console and door padding that there was none left for the driver and passengers. Anyway, I was very surprised, I really expected to like it. Clearly Mercedes are better at big cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts