Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else running into issues with their handbrake sticking? I realise this is a common issue with drum breaks.

However, it seems I can't leave my car standing for more than twelve hours anymore without the drums seizing, causing the handbrake to stick and rear wheels to seize.

I got half way down my street the other day, rear wheel dragging behind me whilst I waited for the loud 'twang' of it to unstick itself. It's embarrassing.

I've spoken to VW, who informed me "that's just how it is" and recommended I book in so they can clean the drums, but stated this wouldn't fix the issue permanently.

It's just been for a service, but apparently VW only do a visual check on drums?

Any one have any ideas on a permanent solution for this? This kind of problem feels unacceptable for a two year old car. Love my little GTI, but may be time to show it the door.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Have a read of this thread..... a minority of our Gti's have the issue, most don't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have a read of this thread..... a minority of our Gti's have the issue, most don't.
I appreciate your input. However, your claim that only a minority have this issue doesn't really help much... The truth is people are clearly being affected by this.

You seem defensive, and I'm not looking for an argument, just some friendly advice.

I've seen this thread, unfortunately it's not very useful. Just stories about how to suck it up and live with it. Leaving a car in gear with the handbrake off is not a solution.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I appreciate your input. However, your claim that only a minority have this issue doesn't really help much... The truth is people are clearly being affected by this.

You seem defensive, and I'm not looking for an argument, just some friendly advice.

I've seen this thread, unfortunately it's not very useful. Just stories about how to suck it up and live with it. Leaving a car in gear with the handbrake off is not a solution.
We on,y hear from those that do have the drum brake issue but many of us don’t. Not being defensive and neither I bet is 911ts above... We can only speak of our experiences with our individual cars.
General opinion is to try to park in gear with the handbrake off which is in a way ridiculous but for most no big deal.
Good luck with your sale 👍👍

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got to be honest, I have a groove up that’s several years old and the year before last I got fed up of the hand brake sticking and fitted new discs and pads and 18 months on it’s all good..

I also have a golf R that’s having it service next week just shy of it coming of 3 years old for the reason of making sure there is no warranty issues..

To be told that’s just how it is is not acceptable. I know brakes are a consumable item but within the warranty period I’d at least be expecting them to clean them up and stop them sticking...

Drums are always a problem and more hassle than they are worth maybe a future up will have discs on the rear?

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Got to be honest, I have a groove up that’s several years old and the year before last I got fed up of the hand brake sticking and fitted new discs and pads and 18 months on it’s all good..

I also have a golf R that’s having it service next week just shy of it coming of 3 years old for the reason of making sure there is no warranty issues..

To be told that’s just how it is is not acceptable. I know brakes are a consumable item but within the warranty period I’d at least be expecting them to clean them up and stop them sticking...

Drums are always a problem and more hassle than they are worth maybe a future up will have discs on the rear?

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is a Disc/pad conversion just becoming available from Upgrade Haus at around £500..... I have seen a conversion with rear discs from a Lupo GTI .

I may do the Upgrade Haus conversion but at this time my drums aren’t a problem. 👍

·
Registered
976 Posts

As Charlie says further above, not being defensive at all, just stating the facts, you do only hear about the bad ones on Forums. My friendly advice would be to try a new set of drums & shoes for what they cost, if you can't get the VW Dealer to change them. Their answer to your complaint isn't acceptable, it's clearly not just "how it is", and drum brakes were completely acceptable and worked fine for decades before rear discs became the norm, so it has to be an issue with inferior drums, shoes, or both.
As you clearly love the car, I wouldn't let the issue put me off trying to have it put right by the Dealer, (which should be the case), or if they are completely intransigent, putting it right myself.
We're on our fifth Up since 2014, collectively having done 90k miles over those 51/2 years, and haven't experienced the sticking handbrake syndrome yet. My daughter is on her 2nd Up, current one being a GTi, and both of hers have been trouble-free too.
There are a plethora of different Up drum manufacturers out there, I checked earlier this evening, and they go from the unknown manufacturers to the very well known, top branded ones, as do the brake shoes.
Even using the best available ones shouldn't cost more than £150. I'd advise you to email someone of importance at VW UK, give them the detail, tell them you're being fobbed off by your local dealer, show them the complaints emanating from the Forums, and ask them to do something about it, as there is a real issue for some people.
Hope that does help, and good luck

·
Registered
764 Posts
£500 for disks is a lot in my book for sorting sticking rear drums, but hey, if you've got it spare, why not? :)

Alternatively, just BACs to my usual acct no. and sort code, and mark it "wine fund" :)

I wouldn't do it (OCD!) myself unless I was sure the kit included everything to ensure correct hydraulic pressures/no rear lockups/secure handbrake/ABS/ESP and so on, but it's not rocket science for aftermarket suppliers to test and calibrate this stuff.... Anyway I'm not sure why I'd need rear disks, as I've never had sticking rear drums, and the car stops well in normal road use... But rear disks do look a helluva lot better!

·
Registered
Up GTI
18 Posts
Polo 9N gti rear disc brakes are bolt on but you will end up with a 5 stud axle.
There are 5 to 4 stud axle converters and thats why i think upgrade haus kit extends rear track by 1cm on each side.

Polo6N had versions with 4 stud rear discs 232mm 4x100
But have no idea if its bolt on mod.
If anyone has more info on 6N conversion to share please do.

Regarding stock drums, i suggest to get it to a specialized "brake shop" and not a dealer.
Get the brake shoes carefully sanded and the inside area of the drums clean.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I presume a ratchet mechanism tightens the handbrake cable and causes the shoes to grip the drums and at the same time compresses a release spring. When releasing the handbrake the spring expands and pulls the shoes off the drums. Could the spring not be strong enough? Otherwise it must be corrosion caused by water ingress.

One of my drums is still sticking. Drove it on Saturday and stuck by Momday with the handbrake only on lightly. Does the hill hold function use the handbrake? Drums will be coming off soon for inspection.

Another issue is that all the exterior door handles have started sticking, so it's time to get the white lithium grease out!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes, sticking rear brakes may well be caused by other issues, not just limited to the shoes sticking to the brake drum surface. Always worth checking springs, lever pivot, and cable when taking the drum off.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Fair enough.
Around here I'd need to carry massive fishing rod to get my car out of the sea! :) :)

Lol my mum has just bought a house and and a car rolling off the drive would end up off the cliff and into the sea.

Given that she is going to start car sharing the Gti with me I am beginning to have sleepless nights. Worth it for share of a camper van though.

Interestingly her new neighbour has a red 3 door Gti! (Scottish Borders location if it is anyone on here)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts