Up Owners Club banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for that - interesting!! ....All these years I've been telling everyone what I myself was told - which turns out possibly to be 'legally' incorrect.

Logically however it doesn't make sense to leave a car on a slope with only the handbrake cable's tension holding the shoes/pads against a drum/disc. As mentioned potentially once the brakes have cooled then the handbrake doesn't re-adjust - it just looses its grip.

We are digressing, but my point is that regardless it would negate any issues with drum shoes sticking because they wouldn't be left "on".

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I took our Mii in for its second service they offered a strip and clean of the rear drums for £99. I politely declined. They obviously know it's a problem and see it as another potential income stream. A bit like charging to clear out the plenum chamber which is a 1 minute job!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
In fairness, at least it was offered to you...
If I did a proper job on it myself, it would be 2 hours of my time (I do things properly rather than quickly), so maybe for those that won't do the work themselves, £99 is not so bad? It will likely mean the car's overall braking might be improved as well (yes, I know the drums are only rear brakes!).

·
Registered
717 Posts
In fairness, at least it was offered to you...
If I did a proper job on it myself, it would be 2 hours of my time (I do things properly rather than quickly), so maybe for those that won't do the work themselves, £99 is not so bad? It will likely mean the car's overall braking might be improved as well (yes, I know the drums are only rear brakes!).
"I do things properly rather than quickly". Yep, same as I would, but, really would you expect the same from a dealership? Doubt they would even remove the drums!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I personally would have a way of checking... Say n'more....

But really, even with dealers (and I use Skoda dealers, being a 'sad' Citigo owner hahaha - but consider if you have an Up!), they are mostly OK, so long as you don't mind paying the elevated rates, compared with the independents, who are also a lottery, until you find a good one....

41 - 45 of 45 Posts