Up Owners Club banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for that - interesting!! ....All these years I've been telling everyone what I myself was told - which turns out possibly to be 'legally' incorrect.

Logically however it doesn't make sense to leave a car on a slope with only the handbrake cable's tension holding the shoes/pads against a drum/disc. As mentioned potentially once the brakes have cooled then the handbrake doesn't re-adjust - it just looses its grip.

We are digressing, but my point is that regardless it would negate any issues with drum shoes sticking because they wouldn't be left "on".

·
Registered
346 Posts
When I took our Mii in for its second service they offered a strip and clean of the rear drums for £99. I politely declined. They obviously know it's a problem and see it as another potential income stream. A bit like charging to clear out the plenum chamber which is a 1 minute job!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
In fairness, at least it was offered to you...
If I did a proper job on it myself, it would be 2 hours of my time (I do things properly rather than quickly), so maybe for those that won't do the work themselves, £99 is not so bad? It will likely mean the car's overall braking might be improved as well (yes, I know the drums are only rear brakes!).

·
Registered
739 Posts
In fairness, at least it was offered to you...
If I did a proper job on it myself, it would be 2 hours of my time (I do things properly rather than quickly), so maybe for those that won't do the work themselves, £99 is not so bad? It will likely mean the car's overall braking might be improved as well (yes, I know the drums are only rear brakes!).
"I do things properly rather than quickly". Yep, same as I would, but, really would you expect the same from a dealership? Doubt they would even remove the drums!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I personally would have a way of checking... Say n'more....

But really, even with dealers (and I use Skoda dealers, being a 'sad' Citigo owner hahaha - but consider if you have an Up!), they are mostly OK, so long as you don't mind paying the elevated rates, compared with the independents, who are also a lottery, until you find a good one....

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I have the dreaded sticking handbrake on my 2018 GTI, 15k miles. Was about to clean drums etc.. myself but as it has a warranty I thought I'd let the dealer sort it.

Just booked it in and was advised that this is "normal for the handbrake to stick". I mean really, come on!!!

I told him, that sorry, no, this is not "normal" that I have to sometimes rock the car back on forth for the handbrake to fly off...
Its booked in next week so we'll see what they say, but not having much faith in them at the moment...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just to update... Dealer has inspected the brakes and cannot find any fault. The sticking drums is just a characteristic of these brakes (also affects the Polo too he said). I just have to rock it back and forth until it releases.
Can't say I agree, but not much I can do about it...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That's utter cr*p. Typical fobbing from an uninterested dealer. Yes drums do need cleaning out and checking over every 2 years or so, as they did in the old days when everything had drums on the rear. I did mine last year, and my daughter's GTi. Mine had stuck once, after 2years & 21000 miles. Daughters had stuck a couple of times in 25000 miles and it's three months older.
Cleaned the brake dust out, roughed the brakes shoes up slightly, cleaned & repainted the drums, and neither of us have had the issue since, and don't expect it will happen for another 18 months at least.
I think the problem is, that (because not many VAG products still use drums), the checking and cleaning op has been taken out of the maintenance schedule, and obviously they don't want to put it back in.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Absolutely right - everyone has forgotten about drum brakes.
The last ~2 years has affected how often cars get driven, and that has a big effect on all brakes, including front disks getting rust-pitted.

I'm old enough to recall having to check/clean drum brakes every 3K miles. No big deal. And advice was always to gently pull on the handbrake a little when driving, from time-to-time, to clean the rust from the inside of the drums, lest they also pit.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts