Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped my Mini clubman for a VW UP! a while back leaving all the paperwork with the VW dealership who accepted the Mini in part exchange.
The Mini had a private plate which I wanted to transfer.
All the V5 seemed to take an age to come through except the notification that I was no longer responsible for the Mini and its private plate!
I claimed the balance of the tax on the old tax disc!
A couple of weeks later I had a letter informing me of a late licensing penalty for the private plate pay £40 now or £80
I sent letters arguing my case that I no longer had the vehicle, at this time I was still driving the Up! with a normal plate awaiting the transfer.
The time limit for the £40 penalty was getting close, and give the dealership their due gave me the £40, I paid the fine but submitted a complaint showing all the evidence with photo copies of all the correspondence.
I have now received a letter from DVLA and I quote
"Thank you for your response in respect of the Late Licensing Penalty issued to you.
In view of the contents of your letter no further action will be taken, You will receive a refund of your payment from the DVLA, Swansea within the next 4 - 6 weeks"

No apology, nothing

What does the forum think of that!!!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Oh dear.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Dealer waiting on V55 etc. I'm hoping I don't get a bill! My worry is the insurance. I can't insure the new car with the new plate until it's transferred and I can't insure the mini if I don't know what plate they assign for it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scrubnut said:
Oh dear.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Dealer waiting on V55 etc. I'm hoping I don't get a bill! My worry is the insurance. I can't insure the new car with the new plate until it's transferred and I can't insure the mini if I don't know what plate they assign for it!
I had to insure with the supplied Reg Number and change with insurer later

·
Registered
90 Posts
Never expect an apology from officials who get it wrong. I have successfully challenged car parking tickets when they were issued incorrectly but it always like they are doing you some great favour by "exercising their discretion" or other nonsense. The most recent was where I was given a ticket in spite of the sign to say that parking was restricted was actually around the corner. They try to make their [email protected]@@-up sound like it is your fault.

Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts