Up Owners Club banner

Do you inform Sainsburys of their error?

• Inform Sainsburys that they have made a mistake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep mum and hope they do not notice

• Tell yourself you will tell them, but prevaricate ...

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the dilemma: You order a Dyson DC35 from Sainsburys online, pay, and then a few days later you collect it from the store. A week later Sainsburys send an email saying that as you did not collect the item, your debit card has been refunded by £200. So, what do you do? Please vote.

I will tell you the outcome once the trend is voting clear.

Now, back to the DC35. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. A bit pricey at £200. I bought a spare battery as it only lasts 10 to 15 minutes. This hoover (?) is so useful. One charge was enough to get the interior of my Up almost spotless, and a second charge finished off the boot. Unlike the dustbuster I also have, it picks up dirt from the car's carpet. I can sweep up dirt from the kitchen floor in a minute, and dust the corners of ceilings, and inside cupboards without having to get out a big hoover, and drag it around with the annoying flex getting in the way. Much easier than using a brush and dustpan too. So, 10/10, well, maybe less but only because it is costly.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I don't feel too sorry for the big chains when thy make errors. Probably poor systems and less staff. Don't feel guilty for keeping it..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Look at the profits they released today or yesterday! F um! If it was a small high street shop I would personally tell them!

But saying that I don't know if I would tell sainsburys, I know what I just wrote, it's there error etc but the right thing is to tell them!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Even of you don't feel sorry for them, it's still theft. I'd advise you spoke to them and rectified it, it's not like they've delivered you one too many mars bars with your shopping, it's a substantial amout of money.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It is theft because the appropriation of the property is dishonest ( he knows he has not been charged for it, he stated that much on a public forum already) with the intent of permanently depriving Sainsbury's of (not giving it back).
It's fairly straight forward really.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I reckon you told them and they gave you a discount or some vouchers. Why don't we all guess what you actually did?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Davec86 said:
It is theft because the appropriation of the property is dishonest ( he knows he has not been charged for it, he stated that much on a public forum already) with the intent of permanently depriving Sainsbury's of (not giving it back).
It's fairly straight forward really.
I think technically you are right, it is classed as theft. It is the same when money is accidentally paid into your account by a bank. It is your duty to inform the company. There have been a few cases when a bank customer spent money that appeared in their account, and were unable to pay it back. They were jailed I think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whether it is technically or legally theft, or not, or whether it is Sainsbury's fault, or not, or even whether Sainsbury's make huge profits, are all irrelevant. To keep the cleaner without paying for it is dishonest and no excuses, and the responsibility for correcting any errors is upon the person who knows about the error. If you haven't yet paid for the item, do so now.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<div ="msg">
I'm pleased to see that most people are honest. At the weekend I sent
an email to Sainsburys letting them know that they had made a mistake. On
Monday they phoned me, and said I could keep the hoover and the refund. I
thought about not telling them, but it felt wrong. In the end it feels a bit odd. I was prepared to return the money.

Oddly enough
last week I ordered two mattresses and a bedstead from another company.
The bedstead was fine, and the cheap mattress was fine. But the second
mattress was wrong, they'd sent a more expensive item. This time I
cannot be bothered to tell them. I am not prepared to pay the
difference, and it'd cost them £60 to collect the item, and send a new
one. And I'd have to take time off from work to wait in all day waiting
for the delivery company to pick up the item.

What is going on?

Back
to the Dyson DC35, I'm surprised no-one commented. How do you lot clean
your Up? You are all obsessed with silly wheels, and tyres, not having
it clean.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Every six weeks or so I take it to the dealer to have a minor fault fixed and they Hoover it! When I have to do it myself I intend to use my Henry. It has a very long cable and excellent suction.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm sorry but this thread sucks

If you don't tell Sainsbury's is will leave avacuumin your life...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I too love my DC35. I don't just use it for my car, it has totally replaced my normal Dyson.

I did have a problem with mine after a few months of ownership though. The hand unit was faulty. It kept turning itself off when you were pressing the button. The problem gradually got worse. I believe it was a known fault and Dyson replaced the unit with no problems.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Surely it is a no-brainer situation. It depends whether you are the criminal type or not. I am also glad to see that most responders are not the criminal type and are honest.

Clearly you have done the correct thing and got a brilliant result. Well done!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jezyg said:
I'm sorry but this thread sucks

If you don't tell Sainsbury's is will leave avacuumin your life...
I see you've brushed up on your humour. Although ultimately your post is just fluff. And that reminds me of the old joke, what is the difference between a Hoover and a Harley Davidson bike? The position of the dirt bag. Arf arf.

·
Registered
397 Posts
We once bought two garden chairs (from a larger branch of Boots) to find when we got home TWO chairs in each box. Phoned selling branch and returned them to a local branch (which didn't stock such items!) by agreement. Sales member told us they'd once sold a good few baby 'strollers' before they discovered they were packed two-to-a-box. Not one had been returned!
I believe one must always be honest (in any case it pays in the long term - 'with the measure you use, it will be used to you') but sometimes there are indeed grey areas (and for different reasons). In such cases, I always donate any financial gain to a charity - our local ARK for the homeless is one that springs immediately to mind)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts