Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seen that the frankfert mmotor show is going to be showing off not 1 but 2 VW electric cars, what is the world coming to, do you not think that VW should test the water with just the one to see if it's worth wasting all that money

·
Registered
226 Posts
Possibly, but the up and the golf would appeal to different audiences so if they only released one it would be hard to measure the possible demand for the other.

·
Registered
583 Posts
VW is pretty late to the electric car party.
Maybe they're catching up with a stillborn market ?

Let's hope they finally bring on the cargo-up!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm sure I saw somewhere the electric up will be upward of £20k. You'd have to be crazy to spend that on an up!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seen that it was going to be £26k, dread to think what the e-golf is going to cost

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just booked mine today. Norway is the first country to open for reservation. Delivery hopefully in the beginning of November.

Unfortunately I don't know all the details as they probably wait until Frankfurt.
Appears to look exactly like pictures in this link:
http://www.bilnorge.no/bildegalleri.php?aid=41198&limfrom=0#f0

Base price without shipping and registration is here £19056. Complete with some extras (panoramic glass roof, cruise control, backup sensor) and shipping £21700.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The e-up could be financially viable, if you do 20,000 miles per year, that is about 20,000/60 gallons, which is 1000/3 or 333 gallons. At £7 per gallon, that is more than £2,000 a year, so £10,000 in 5 years. If the battery lasts. And the battery is expensive.

But ... if we all drive electric cars, the government will find a way to tax them, and they will no longer be viable. If fuel was not taxed, petrol cars would be massively cheaper.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well the Electricity you are pumping into it is taxed already...So you will be paying tax... and the more demand for electricity the more tax is payed.
Also to say it is greener... How much pollution is generated at the Generating plant. be it Fossil fuels or Nuclear power..
If you are generating your own by Sun, wind or hydroelectric then maybe its more cost effective.
Then there is the problem of distance travelled per charge, where to plug in when away, and the time taken to charge.
All of these factors become relevant to ownership..
Once the Hydrogen fuel cell is fully developed and cost effective to manufacture and use, then maybe electric cars will become more prevalent.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
UK electricity is not taxed, although there is a ~15% surcharge to pay for renewables. Whereas the price of UK petrol is 2/3 tax, in other words the tax is about 150%, so yes somehow the government would have to get back the lost tax were we to move on mass to electric cars. In other words, the cost of motoring would increase massively.

Hydrogen has issues too. At present the engines require very expensive metals such as palladium, and were we all to drive such cars, demand might push up the price significantly. Also something has to produce the hydrogen, so really it is not that different from electric cars, but without range anxiety since liquid hydrogen is more energy dense compared to batteries. If they can find cheap catalysts then hydrogen engines might well be the future. Alternatively you can use hydrogen in internal combustion engines, so perhaps that is the real future.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So the SURCHARGE is payed... which goes to the government.So then a surcharge is a form of tax!
As a surcharge is added to the cost.. in pretty much the same way as tax is added...
We all blindly follow as it is NOT CLASSED AS A TAX... ITS A SURCHARGE.
But non-the less its still an additional payment, which the government can adjust up or down.

I agree maybe the Hydrogen fuel cell is the why forward for the future... but producing liquid hydrogen is still costly... but like any new technological advance it takes time.

Hybrid cars seem to be the solution for this time... having the benefits of longer range, and being able to recharge the battery packs.
SO maybe wait for the HYBRID UP! to be developed... already talk of it, using the XL1 diesel Hybrid motor.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I heard 15.5K£ in UK for the E-up but nae use to me....regularly do more than its range in a day and frankly, driving like a granny high 60s mpg is available to a petrol model savings are poor compared to the inconvenience it would bring to my life.

perhaps better for city scooting about and avoiding congestion charges etc.......I'll be passing!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Privatedoc... your so right it is a lot of money for the E-UP... I live in a big city in Germany, Still go for the Petrol version. I would always have the nagging do i have have juice to do that extra journey with the E-UP. but with the Petrol its just a quick stop to fill up...

I will be glad when mine finally arrives in November...

How long does it take to charge.
And what is its range... I don't see any details for it anywhere.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The derv up! When it arrives sounds like better bet. I know batteries are expensive but taking that out of the equation, I do feel battery cars are overpriced. After all an electric motor is cheaper and less complex than a petrol and more so a derv with its turbo a expensive common rail injection. A good example is the Zoe, without batteries is 15k.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No matter what way they make it 'greener' they will still need to tax us stupid money. They can't just lose the revenue they make on petrol over night. They need to charge us for it, they will just find another way to do it.

Most people rely on cars. So in that sense they have us by the balls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts