Up Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
e-Up, E300d & E92 M3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just put my order in for November/December delivery for an e-Up. This will be my first electrc car experience and one that I am actually looking forward to.

Being in Northern Ireland, we have still got access to free public chargers (one of which is a less than 200ft walk from my work) therefore I am going to be trying to run this soley off it and resist the urge to put a home charger in. I have a 6 mile round commute 5 times a week so really this should work well for me.

My spec is standard apart from the optional extra 'Pure White' paint as I don't think the 'Teal Blue' would have been my sort of thing.

I see KW and V-Maxx have released e-Up specific coilovers which I might look into once I take delivery. Has anyone with an e-Up lowered them yet? I've did a search and didn't turn up any results.

·
Registered
e-Up, E300d & E92 M3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice electric car - should be good and cheap to run/own.
Don't rely on free charging for too long though!
Yeah I know what you mean it's more use it while it's there but I am fully expecting to have to put in a charger at home at some point.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Micky. I bought the old 'small battery' version in mid 2018. Great car, good suspension and handling (low centre of gravity and 50-50 weight distro). Also very good acceleration from standstill and any speed. (But if overtaking on M-way be wary of the 'top-out' at 80MPH)
Economy was astounding with normal driving. I am in a hilly area next to town,country and m-way. Always better in warm weather but 3 winters & 2 summers = average for me was 97 mile range - with over 110 in summer and never less than 80 in winter (so how do journos get the 67 'real world' average for it !!) Never a problem going long journeys if rapid charge used (mostly full again in the time it took for a wee and tea). The ability to plug in and pre-warm (or cool) using mains is great. And because of ancient house & a stone floor in the way I could never get a home wallbox. But the 3 pin inline 'granny charger' works fine.
That was my old one. In mid April this year I got a new 32,3Kw/h version (its actually 36.8 but with some kept 'in reserve' I expect so they can release it in future years & keep the 32.3 for longer).
Battery (and car) physical size/weight, power and torque is the same (BTW there is no less cabin or boot room compared to a petrol up). That battery is bigger electrically and more modern though so (I think) because it can accept regen more quickly it recovers more than the already good old version. That gave an astounding average of over 5 miles per unit of leccy. But so far (1 cold month, 3 warm ones) this new one one has returned well over 6 average with often more than 7.
I don't make full use of the regen settings - apart from down a very steep hill. I just set 2 left swipes of the 'gear' lever or setting 2 out of 4. That is to give me the same engine braking feel as a normal IC car. I also don't set eco or eco+ either.
First one was white (shows dirt a lot though esp when doors are opened because a lot of road spray gets in under them.
Likes: almost everything. Dislikes: 'Lane Assist' is on by default and needs killing with a button pre-flight or it will react to random things on any road (and was useless when I deliberately wandered on an empty bit of M-way). Also fake noise can't now be cancelled for all time - just per journey/startup via a menu. The 'we connect' app works well but needs newer versions of android than the v5 that was in my old phone. 2 Random probs with the old e-up: both fixed under warranty. First was computer shutdown of all the high voltage system (so no drive, charge or heat) because the heater shorted inside. Its effectively a 374v kettle to heat water that the engine (being so efficient) never does much. It seems that a sneaky over-the-air update = max setting way higher (30c i think) which I didn't spot so it effectively toasted itself. Second was a fail of the reversing camera. Unusual parts like those need to be backordered of course but mechanicals are standard up from the motor/diff/propshafts outward.
Oh and lastly - tyre pressures. Special tyres so old e-up owners manual and sticker and workshop manual said 41PSI (all round). New one - sticker said 36 (but car is identical and so are tyres). The new manual is more useless and just says 'see sticker'. Dealers set 40 and I tried 36 but soon went to a compromise of 39. After ~1100 miles that seems to be Ok wear-pattern-wise.
Enjoy it when it gets to you

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just put my order in for November/December delivery for an e-Up. This will be my first electrc car experience and one that I am actually looking forward to.

My spec is standard apart from the optional extra 'Pure White' paint as I don't think the 'Teal Blue' would have been my sort of thing.
Hi Mickylad, I have a white one on the way as well. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago (before the lease deal was posted on HotUKDeals) so I was a bit luckier with the delivery dates and should be getting it next month.

I think you'll enjoy driving electric for your commute, they're great fun around town, at the lights, etc. I've been driving leccy cars for about 8 years now and my place of work have finally got round to installing free chargers so I'm looking forward to getting back into an EV.

My brother has owned an e-up since 2014 and actually bought it from a garage in Northern Ireland. He got a great deal at the time, paid just under £12k and it only had a few hundred miles on the clock (a press car). It's been completely fault free and he's put a lot of mileage on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That was my old one. In mid April this year I got a new 32,3Kw/h version
Always a good sign when an owner replaces a car with the same again (y)

Steve, are you able to charge at 32A from a wallbox?

I've read quite a lot of conflicting info about what the car is supposed to do. VW's brochure says 16A (and mentions a 16A cable) but I've read some UK owners actually being able to charge at 32A.

·
Registered
e-Up, E300d & E92 M3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mickylad, I have a white one on the way as well. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago (before the lease deal was posted on HotUKDeals) so I was a bit luckier with the delivery dates and should be getting it next month.

I think you'll enjoy driving electric for your commute, they're great fun around town, at the lights, etc. I've been driving leccy cars for about 8 years now and my place of work have finally got round to installing free chargers so I'm looking forward to getting back into an EV.

My brother has owned an e-up since 2014 and actually bought it from a garage in Northern Ireland. He got a great deal at the time, paid just under £12k and it only had a few hundred miles on the clock (a press car). It's been completely fault free and he's put a lot of mileage on it.
Yeah I seen the deal on HUKD and was able to work it into whenever my E300d goes back in December which was great for me. The idea is that I'm paying a fortune for it and diesel every month and with maximum use of the free charger I should eliminate both of those bills. Although I am planning on getting a wall box installed just in case as I do think my daily driver will now always be electric (I still have the E92 M3 V8 for the weekend to get my fun in)

There does seem to be a few guys now who rave about them, I know my brother has just ordered a Tesla Model 3 and had driven a Seat Mii Electric (pretty much identical underpinnings) and he said they are very enjoyable 0-30mph which is where most of my driving will be in town. Looking forward to it indeed but going to be losing some creature comforts from the E Class for sure which is just an unbelieveable big long distance cruiser!

·
Registered
119 Posts
There does seem to be a few guys now who rave about them, I know my brother has just ordered a Tesla Model 3 and had driven a Seat Mii Electric (pretty much identical underpinnings) and he said they are very enjoyable 0-30mph which is where most of my driving will be in town. Looking forward to it indeed
Yeah, I started off in a BMW i3 and they are just so much fun around town. It doesn't matter what's alongside you at the lights, you're always able to ping it away ahead and go where you need to be. I've been addicted ever since, lol. I had an electric Golf after that then moved to a Tesla Model 3 Performance which was just nuts but unfortunately I collected it in March 2020 just as covid hit so I didn't get as much chance to drive it as I'd intended so got rid of it early as it was just sat in my garage. The e-up has way less power but I've driven my brother's and it's still pretty nimble in town, should be a lot of fun, especially for the money - these current lease deals are fantastic value.

I'm not intending to use mine for anything other than the commute and locally. I owned my Tesla as my only car and drove it up into the North of Scotland without any concerns, their charging network is superb but I have much less faith in the public charging network for non-Tesla EV's and the e-up has less than half of the range of the Tesla so I'm keeping my UP GTI to run alongside my e-up and I'll use the GTI for holidays and any long distance trips. I intend keeping the GTI long-term (really love it) so this plan will also be handy to reduce the mileage on it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Always a good sign when an owner replaces a car with the same again (y)

Steve, are you able to charge at 32A from a wallbox?

I've read quite a lot of conflicting info about what the car is supposed to do. VW's brochure says 16A (and mentions a 16A cable) but I've read some UK owners actually being able to charge at 32A.
Yes - confusing situation (as usual from VW). But I know this: The charge cable is definitely thicker than on the small battery up so it is 32a. As far as I can find out the on board charger can only take 3.2 units per hour from any single phase charge point (so a SP 7kw or SP wall box). If its 2 or 3 phase - full 7units per hour. I also think (covid has prevented much experimenting) that rapid is now 50 units/hour.There is a thread about this in e-up specific area and I am told that a sofrware edit can = 7 units per from even single phase. (But I am reluctant to do that - would prefer a VW software update one day. I think it has something to do with leccy systems in Europe vs in UK).

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
74 Posts
Hi,

Being in Northern Ireland, we have still got access to free public chargers (one of which is a less than 200ft walk from my work) therefore I am going to be trying to run this soley off it and resist the urge to put a home charger in. I have a 6 mile round commute 5 times a week so really this should work well for me.

I see KW and V-Maxx have released e-Up specific coilovers which I might look into once I take delivery. Has anyone with an e-Up lowered them yet? I've did a search and didn't turn up any results.
I’m just coming up to a year of ownership on my e-up!, it’s a great little car however because it’s so much cheaper to run than our Petrol Golf we’ve been using it loads more than originally planned cramming in dogs, child seat and a running buggy.
We used to have free charging in Scotland but they’ve stopped that now, the current £/kWh is about twice what I pay at home. I don’t know what grants you have available for a home charger in Northern Ireland but it might be worth getting one fitted whilst money is available as these grants are only going to reduce and free charging won’t last forever.
My home energy tariff is an EV specific one which works out cheaper that my previous one, even if you don’t plan to charge at home having an EV opens up this options.

·
Registered
e-Up, E300d & E92 M3
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m just coming up to a year of ownership on my e-up!, it’s a great little car however because it’s so much cheaper to run than our Petrol Golf we’ve been using it loads more than originally planned cramming in dogs, child seat and a running buggy.
We used to have free charging in Scotland but they’ve stopped that now, the current £/kWh is about twice what I pay at home. I don’t know what grants you have available for a home charger in Northern Ireland but it might be worth getting one fitted whilst money is available as these grants are only going to reduce and free charging won’t last forever.
My home energy tariff is an EV specific one which works out cheaper that my previous one, even if you don’t plan to charge at home having an EV opens up this options.
I've done a bit of research since and it seems like it'll cost me around £600 for an installed Smart Charger including the grant which I will probably end up doing and not using until the free charging stops.

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
74 Posts
I've done a bit of research since and it seems like it'll cost me around £600 for an installed Smart Charger including the grant which I will probably end up doing and not using until the free charging stops.
I did look into a non smart charger but the difference in price vs a smart charger was more than covered by the grants and most of my costs came from an awkward installation; I’d have needed 20m of cable and a post whatever type of charger was on the end of it. So far the schedule on the car/we connect app has meant I’ve not used the smart features.

Despite had a software update from VW in July it’s 3.6kw at home on single phase (charger has been tested at 7.2kw with an ID.3), 7.2kw on triple phase from public chargers and about 45kw from the rapid chargers, but it slows down as it fills especially over 80%. <1 hour on 50kw CCS normally gets me a full charge after the 90 mile trip to Inverness.
If like me you develop a nasty habit of forgetting to plug in at home if you have to unload the shopping and don’t realise until you get up the next day the extra speed of type 2 over the granny lead makes all the difference in getting to work!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
A modern car ought to be able to phone/text/email over mobile or by hooking in to your home WiFi to remind you to plug it in. That'd be on my design list if I was making the things! Not rocket science, just 20 year old tech...

·
Registered
119 Posts
A modern car ought to be able to phone/text/email over mobile or by hooking in to your home WiFi to remind you to plug it in. That'd be on my design list if I was making the things! Not rocket science, just 20 year old tech...
Lots of modern EV's do exactly that!

There are also plenty of software add-ons which let you do all sorts of interesting things. I was a big fan of TeslaFi with my model 3 and their alert to let you know that you forgot to plug in saved me plenty of times.

I haven't started looking yet for what's available for the e-up. Maybe it won't be so well supported although I did watch a video the other day on Tronity which looked like it might be worth the monthly sub. It ties in with ABRP, etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts