Up Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the e-Up!, I've only had it for a week, and only charged it once at a public charging station. Today I charged it at home using the wall plug and messed around with the We Connect app and the departure time, climate control and other settings. I let it charge to 100% and checked the range. In normal mode it was 285km. I checked it in ECO+ and it was 294km. I turned off the ignition and came back a little later to show my dad the range. It now said 294km in Normal mode. checked in ECO+ and it now said 300km. I noticed this so I left the car in ECO+, turned it off and when I turned it back on it was back in Normal mode but the range was still 300km; I put it in ECO+ and it said 304km. This happened everytime when I left the car in ECO+, turned it off an turned it back on. This is clearly a bug, but will it affect the way my car tells me the range I have left? When I'll drive it again, will the range recalibrate itself and show me the real range? This happened today and I didn't have the time to take it for a ride, so I don't know waht wil happen. Can you (other e-Up! owners) try this and tell me your results? Am I the only one that has this issue? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
May not be a bug. It may be a small change in battery temp changes the voltage very slightly, affecting potential range reading (the car probably works out range based on looking at battery voltage under a known load)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May not be a bug. It may be a small change in battery temp changes the voltage very slightly, affecting potential range reading (the car probably works out range based on looking at battery voltage under a known load)
So then, whats the real range? Should I trust it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I guess its about as accurate as the petrol engined ones. Petrol tank sensors are probably only accurate within about 5 litres so any range forecast you get is a bit of a guess and changes with any change in driving style. We just get used to it. Because displays are digital, it does not automatically make them accurate to the last digit. Estimating actual Capacity on Lithium batteries is more difficult for the reasons Freemansteve said. If your battery is down to 25%, think of it as !/4 full

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
81 Posts
What happens when you drive the car, does the range suddenly drop to the earlier figure?
Can’t say I’ve had this situation myself but as said above the range estimate can very so it’s best to get a bit of experience and know how far 1/2 “tank” gets you in various conditions.
Between a UK summer and winter my range on 80% goes from >120 down to 80 miles

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow that's an interesting fact. So what you experience is reported capacity reduces 1/3 in winter. Do you have any idea if that is actually followed by real capacity / distance.
I am thinking about EV but still have major concerns about battery capacity and life. It would be interesting to hear other comments from EV users about capacity and life.

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
81 Posts
Wow that's an interesting fact. So what you experience is reported capacity reduces 1/3 in winter. Do you have any idea if that is actually followed by real capacity / distance.
I am thinking about EV but still have major concerns about battery capacity and life. It would be interesting to hear other comments from EV users about capacity and life.
My miles per KWh drops from an occasional high of 5 in summer to an occasional low of 3 in the winter, year round avg of 4. I only use the preheat on the way to work and I run winter tyres which makes the biggest impact, I’ve seen some forum members reporting higher m/KWh figures. As for battery life most manufacturers offer an 80% capacity at 8 years or 100000 miles warranty which is still 76 miles on full charge in my worst case which is still a useable daily range for me.
The first generations of Zoe’s and Leafs have proved to be pretty good if looked after, there’s a reason why battery leases aren’t a thing anymore.
The best/worst case range figures on ev-database.org seem pretty accurate for different conditions.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It can't be worse than many ICE cars I've owned - takes weeks for the gauge to get below half-full, and then drops to zero in a day!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the e-Up!, I've only had it for a week, and only charged it once at a public charging station. Today I charged it at home using the wall plug and messed around with the We Connect app and the departure time, climate control and other settings. I let it charge to 100% and checked the range. In normal mode it was 285km. I checked it in ECO+ and it was 294km. I turned off the ignition and came back a little later to show my dad the range. It now said 294km in Normal mode. checked in ECO+ and it now said 300km. I noticed this so I left the car in ECO+, turned it off and when I turned it back on it was back in Normal mode but the range was still 300km; I put it in ECO+ and it said 304km. This happened everytime when I left the car in ECO+, turned it off an turned it back on. This is clearly a bug, but will it affect the way my car tells me the range I have left? When I'll drive it again, will the range recalibrate itself and show me the real range? This happened today and I didn't have the time to take it for a ride, so I don't know waht wil happen. Can you (other e-Up! owners) try this and tell me your results? Am I the only one that has this issue? Thank you.
We got ours on the 1st September this year and the range available seems to be based on how you have been driving previously. So, if you have driven on mainly motorway the day before and are showing 80 miles left, if you then start driving in a City environment, expect the range shown to increase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update
After i drove it for a couple of meters the range dropped back to its normal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts