1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Seems the same as mine (2016) except for the cosmetic differences.

I dont agree with the assertion that its not as fun as the petrol ones... I find it much more fun with the instant torque and lower centre of gravity, its brilliant fun to throw around!

I have driven some other small electric cars and it does feel faster and better built, physically and technically. So I dont agree that it is a rip off, but agree that it is expensive...Edited by: SiJ2000

·
Registered
70 Posts
dash said:
Well I've read it - but wasn't impressed with this claim :-

VW's electric e-up! only works well if you are able to charge it often. That means the petrol powered up! models will make the most sense for the most people.
Later in the review it mentions its (improved) range of 99 miles. Are we to assume that the writer thinks that "most people" either drive more than 99 miles per day (= 36,000+ miles per year !) or don't spend the night in their beds (when they could be charging their car) ?

Whilst mine claims it can do 92 miles on a full battery when I look at it when unplugging, in practice I can't do much more than 70 miles before it flags up a warning. However, I rarely do anything like 70 miles per day in it nor I suspect would most other owners. Even 70mpd (or 25,000+ miles per year) seems well above 'average' use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
EricM said:
Whilst mine claims it can do 92 miles on a full battery when I look at it when unplugging, in practice I can't do much more than 70 miles before it flags up a warning. However, I rarely do anything like 70 miles per day in it nor I suspect would most other owners. Even 70mpd (or 25,000+ miles per year) seems well above 'average' use.
I also rarely do more than 70 miles/day but on the occasions that I do, I want to be able to hop in the car and complete the trip without having to plan the journey around recharging stops.

An e-Up could cope with my needs 95% of the time - it's the 5% that is the issue.

When real world range gets to 200 miles (and the premium for electric narrows) then a lot more people will take the leap I think.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Up!_to_Mii said:
An e-Up could cope with my needs 95% of the time - it's the 5% that is the issue. 
Not a problem for me as I have another car that we use for long journeys.

For anyone else's 5%, it might be worth hiring a car for any longer trips. The savings from e-Up! fuel costs and zero road tax mean that there would be a fair pot of money available for hiring.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes I think at the moment they make much more sense as second cars.

But we're getting close though. The new Hyundai Ionic has a range of 140 miles I think.

I intend to run my Mii into the ground. When it's finally time to replace it I'm sure it will be with an electric car. Advances are being made in cost, range and charging infrastructure, and we are tantalisingly close to a major shift I think.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah... Have a touran for long journeys. Also, the Mrs uses the up for morning school runs and it gets charged a couple of times a week.

Has saved hundreds in diesel since we've had it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Winter driving is putting me off even thinking of a e-up or any other type of electric car.Defrosting the windscreen i guess would use alot of charge from the battery and the mile range drops by almost half ?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
There is a battery hit in cold weather, but not half! Also, the heated front screen helps.

Just pour cold tap water over the screen and that melts the ice. If you set blowers to full heat, that will use more power!

We charged it 2 or 3 times a week, rather than 1 or 2 during the coldest weather.

If you are going to charge it each night, for example, does it really matter?

·
Registered
204 Posts
New Nissan Leaf being unveiled in September could be the tipping point i think. Rumours are it will have 250 miles range and mainstream styling.

If thats the case i will be trading in the UP im affraid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts