Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted a five-door E-Up! in Tungsten Grey at the RVI, in Newcastle, earlier today.

I suspect it may have belonged to the hospital, since not only was it parked in a bay for hospital vehicles, all door panels were covered in VW E-Up! livery.

Still, I couldn't help but admire the red LED lights in the rear bumper.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ahhh I've not seen one yet but i've heard the lights are cool :( Not sure I'd buy one though, don't fancy electric cars too much!

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
spotted one in Glasgow as well recently, the front LED DRL lights look so nice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i would test drive one, don't the EU have a crazy rule all electric cars need to make an engine noise soon, I pick a the Maloo V8 for mine if I was forced to pick one

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
xooophoto said:
i would test drive one, don't the EU have a crazy rule all electric cars need to make an engine noise soon ...
I am a motorbike rider and have two motorbikes.
My Suzuki GS500F goes up to 10.000 rpm and is impossible to ride under 3.000 rpm ...
It is a quiet (cheap) bike ...

I rode in 4th gear through the town and I will never do it again!
The bike is too quiet and pedestrians can't believe I ride 30 mph. They jump onto the street because they have a totally wrong "speed feeling" of my (400 pounds) motorbike. I now ALWAYS ride in 3rd gear through the town to be louder - which makes people think I'm fast.

Same thing with E-cars!!!
I would not drive a totally quiet E-car. It is DANGEROUS! Pederstrians will jump onto the street, not only because they don't recognize you but also, because they get your speed wrong ...

The "crazy EU rule" is not crazy at all!
It has something to do with "proved evolutionary behaviour of human beings" ...
No sound > no danger / quiet > slow / loud > fast ...
I don't know what politicians in Brussels think - but it suits my experience as a motorbiker ...

Edited by: Cadfael

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cadfael said:
xooophoto said:
i would test drive one, don't the EU have a crazy rule all electric cars need to make an engine noise soon ...
The "crazy EU rule" is not crazy at all!
It has something to do with "proved evolutionary behaviour of human beings" ...
No sound > no danger / quiet > slow / loud > fast ...
I don't know what politicians in Brussels think - but it suits my experience as a motorbiker ...
I'm not sure if it will actually become a 'rule' - AFAIK it was only a 'proposal' though I agree that some sort of warning tone (but less aggressive than a hooter
) would be a great idea. I've only had mine a few days but have already had a couple of near misses with suicidal pedestrians so may well look for a discrete buzzer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts