Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a mii 6 months ago and nearly every month iv gone back to the dealership to tell him there's another fault. The ecu failed 3 days ago and the dealership said it was the key that was faulty. I kept on telling them it wasnt the key but they never listened they said they fixed the fault, which they didnt. The engine cut of while I was driving after leaving the dealership. I was not impressed at. I rang the aa they towed the car back to the dealership. After going back to the dealers they said my battery is the cause of this, I laughed at the guy because the aa guy said my battery is fine. I asked the dealers for a courtesy car but they said I will need to wait three weeks. I received a call 2 hours later saying my car is completely dead and my ecu is faulty and is coursing all this. Cant believe the ecu failed after 6 months.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Electronics usually fail right away - or not at all.
Then there's a small % of the faulty ones that are just good enough to pass manufacturing, even run for a short while - before some bad vibes kill an already wanky connection, and it's game over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont get me wrong the mii is a great car it's just when you keep on having problems you have doubts. U wouldnt think a car less then a years old would have an ecu fault. Iv taken the car to the dealers 5 times in the last 6 months. Faults were key stopped working, city assist not working, sat nav faulty, washing motor faulty and now the ecu has failed which has caused the car not to turn on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Demand a replacement under the sale of goods act...?? seems that you have a valid claim ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car is on a pcp will they still be able to change it. Knowing my luck the dealership are gonna say its fixed and then something else is gonna mess up next month.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We had a brand new seat Ibiza, thankfully a company car and even after it had been broken in, they told us that was why it kept down strange things the engines fans would still come on, when the outside temperature was minus 4 and we'd driven less than half a mile. The would replace the ecu, wasn't a fault anywhere else, so we gave it back to the company and got a golf.

·
Registered
583 Posts
faisal789 said:
U wouldnt think a car less then a years old would have an ecu fault.
No, but that doesn't mean it can never happen.
Most of these faults would show up during production - either of the unit itself, or of the car.

Faults were key stopped working, city assist not working, sat nav faulty, washing motor faulty and now the ecu has failed which has caused the car not to turn on.
Key and city assist could be caused by the ecu fault, as ecus tend to control a bit more than just the engine and can cause some strange issues when they are on their way out.

But it's certainly a rough start with a new car, and that's not pleasant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just received a call from the dealership it could take 2 weeks for my car to be fixed and they can't give me a courtesy car because there's a 3 week delay. Not happy at all.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yes. It doesn't matter how you've paid, you still have to pay for it. In fact, I would tell them you're going to freeze your direct debit until they sort it, this is one of the benefits of finance, you actually have more power than a cash buyer as you can stop paying, whereas cash it's already done and dusted and you have no bargaining tool in that respect. Edited by: Davec86

·
Registered
587 Posts
faisal789 said:
Just received a call from the dealership it could take 2 weeks for my car to be fixed and they can't give me a courtesy car because there's a 3 week delay. Not happy at all.

That is disgraceful and one reason I went to VW and BMW from SEAT. Awful dealer service...shame astheirproduct is good value and overall pretty on par with VWreliabilitywise.

I would highlyrecommendgetting on the phone to SEAT customer service, they will open a case andinitiallywill push to get the car fixed sooner and provide a courtesy car. If the ECU replacement fails then I would look to reject the car.

I will say on both occasions SEAT customer service have been great and will put pressure on a dealer to get an issue resolved.

On the ECU front it is not an uncommon fault and these days cars tend to suffer more electrical faults than mechanical these days. Heard of quite a few cars with ECU faults and hopefully it will resolve the situation having it replaced.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My nissan a few years back had an ecu problem, it limited my car to 30mph for no reason, car was out of warranty £2500 to replace it, it was almost the cost of the car, so it went off to get traded in

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got a call from seat around 5 minutes ago and now they are saying they need to change the dash in my car. Itz just unbelievable every couple of hours there is something new that is causing the fault.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They also said they believe it may take longer then 2 weeks now to fix my car and still no courtesy car given they have said I need to wait 3 weeks for a courtesy car.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm sorry, that's bullsh*t, they need to sort it, stamp your feet, there's no way I'd be left without a car for three weeks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
faisal789 said:
They also said they believe it may take longer then 2 weeks now to fix my car and still no courtesy car given they have said I need to wait 3 weeks for a courtesy car.

Like I said get on the phone to SEAT UK customer care.0500 222 222 (08:30-17:30)

If needed I think I still have Peter Whinney head of SEAT UK's email address!

·
Registered
430 Posts
faisal789 said:
Can I get this car changed for another mii despite me having this on a pcp
Yes. Do some googleing on rejecting a new car and all will become clear. Before battle commences (and it might) make sure you keep a record of all service visits, who you dealt with and what they said. When you give them the letter to reject the car send a copy to VW as well to keep them in the loop. It's no different in theory to taking any faulty goods back, the sales and supply of goods act still applies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts