Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an ECU remap. Now that we are 18 months into the delivery cycle I want some reports, please. I am on 13000 miles.

I would like reports and experiences ONLY please Not opinions, just facts. :) :)

specifically:

1) what mileage did you have it done on ?
2) What you've been told you have now 131/143/etc bhp ?
3) What problems you've had since and over how many miles?
4) if you had anything else done EG exhaust/filter
5) who did it ?

perhaps an answer quoted back:
viz
1) xxxx miles
2) 143 bhp
3) ..........
4) see .......
5) what I've done here ....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
1) what mileage did you have it done on ? about 6000
2) What you've been told you have now 131/143/etc bhp ? 140bhp/230nm
3) What problems you've had since and over how many miles? no problems in the 4000 miles after
4) if you had anything else done EG exhaust/filter? no.
5) who did it ? SA Tuning.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am considering an ECU remap. Now that we are 18 months into the delivery cycle I want some reports, please. I am on 13000 miles.

I would like reports and experiences ONLY please Not opinions, just facts. :) :)

specifically:

1) what mileage did you have it done on ?
2) What you've been told you have now 131/143/etc bhp ?
3) What problems you've had since and over how many miles?
4) if you had anything else done EG exhaust/filter
5) who did it ?

perhaps an answer quoted back:
viz
1) xxxx miles
2) 143 bhp
3) ..........
4) see .......
5) what I've done here ....
130bhp ecu remap from supertune for £195.
Have 100% faith in remaps so got it done not long after car was delivered new so had it now for 12+ months.
Do 15k per year.
Zero problems.
Also have milltek non res catback fitted.
No negative effects on MPG.
Faster off the mark and quicker overall but the biggest plus for me is the far better mid range pull for safer overtaking on B roads, just my experience and opinion before the peddlers of remap/warranty doom pile in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is perfect lad/ladesses

just the facts, no piling in with opinion on the merits or demerits, you two have typed what I'm interested in.

👍

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ive only covered just over 300 miles since my visit to JBS Auto design, on the 30th Sep last year.
A casual driver, would probably not realise my car has been remapped, but when you have lived with the car from day one, only the owner will know what's changed, or different about the car.

The car is still standard, and the Coilovers, Milltek and OZ alloys have yet to be installed.
The only visual difference, are the missing 17in alloys, which have been swapped for my 15in Fox wheels, just so that it can be parked.

The OZ wheels will be going on probably in March, when all the road salt has finished.

The engine is a lot quieter, and smoother, and fuel economy has not suffered at all, and on that rare occasion when i do boot the thing, the increased power is incredible.
Maybe i am not the right person to comment, as my car has not left the garage for nearly six weeks, its not a winter car, my Move Up does all that.

There's nothing negative to report about the car, after its remapping, and for someone looking for an Up Gti, and sitting behind the wheel of my car, they probably would not know it has 30hp more than standard.

Why did i have it remapped ?, cost for one thing, only £245, and the knowledge that the JBS remap would improve the engines efficiency and capabilities.

My car still only has 2471 miles on its clock, in eleven months of ownership, not much mileage, but its not used that often.

Do i regret having it remapped? Definitely NO, its transformed the car.
Do i expect any issues or problems ? No, as this is my fourth car ive had remapped, and they have all been a huge success.

Maybe when the days get longer, and the warmer weather arrives, i will appreciate the increased performance, but all i can say, 143hp feels a lot better than my cars original 116hp.

My car can still exceed 70mpg, it potters around llandudno like any other citycar, and nobody would really know the car is not standard, apart from the missing wheels

It drives like a normal car, performs like a normal one, but its only when you push it, do you notice any difference.

If anyone here is still in doubt about getting their Gti remapped, just get it done, you will not regret it, and it all depends on how you use the car.

Drive it normally, like any Up, and it behaves like any citycar.
Abuse it, and drive it like a fool, and no doubt you will get a speeding fine, but it all depends on how you drive it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You must have kwn wha
This is perfect lad/ladesses

just the facts, no piling in with opinion on the merits or demerits, you two have typed what I'm interested in.

👍
Oh well least you got a couple of posts with what you requested before war and peace appeared.

·
Registered
279 Posts
1) what mileage did you have it done on ? About 3k.
2) What you've been told you have now 131/143/etc bhp ? 131bhp+ not measured on a rolling road. I don't like the abuse cars are put under for the sake of a meaningless graph.
3) What problems you've had since and over how many miles? None. About 19k.
4) if you had anything else done EG exhaust/filter. None to engine.
5) who did it ? A Celtic tuning agent who I know. He's modified/mapped other vehicles for me. A clever guy who has built a Caddy with S3 running gear:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive only covered just over 300 miles since my visit to JBS Auto design, on the 30th Sep last year.
A casual driver, would probably not realise my car has been remapped, but when you have lived with the car from day one, only the owner will know what's changed, or different about the car.

The car is still standard, and the Coilovers, Milltek and OZ alloys have yet to be installed.
The only visual difference, are the missing 17in alloys, which have been swapped for my 15in Fox wheels, just so that it can be parked.

The OZ wheels will be going on probably in March, when all the road salt has finished.

The engine is a lot quieter, and smoother, and fuel economy has not suffered at all, and on that rare occasion when i do boot the thing, the increased power is incredible.
Maybe i am not the right person to comment, as my car has not left the garage for nearly six weeks, its not a winter car, my Move Up does all that.

There's nothing negative to report about the car, after its remapping, and for someone looking for an Up Gti, and sitting behind the wheel of my car, they probably would not know it has 30hp more than standard.

Why did i have it remapped ?, cost for one thing, only £245, and the knowledge that the JBS remap would improve the engines efficiency and capabilities.

My car still only has 2471 miles on its clock, in eleven months of ownership, not much mileage, but its not used that often.

Do i regret having it remapped? Definitely NO, its transformed the car.
Do i expect any issues or problems ? No, as this is my fourth car ive had remapped, and they have all been a huge success.

Maybe when the days get longer, and the warmer weather arrives, i will appreciate the increased performance, but all i can say, 143hp feels a lot better than my cars original 116hp.

My car can still exceed 70mpg, it potters around llandudno like any other citycar, and nobody would really know the car is not standard, apart from the missing wheels

It drives like a normal car, performs like a normal one, but its only when you push it, do you notice any difference.

If anyone here is still in doubt about getting their Gti remapped, just get it done, you will not regret it, and it all depends on how you use the car.

Drive it normally, like any Up, and it behaves like any citycar.
Abuse it, and drive it like a fool, and no doubt you will get a speeding fine, but it all depends on how you drive it.
I haven't read this.

Can I have it in
1)
2)
3)
4) format please?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Had my GTI remapped by Quantum remapping 4months ago, 130bhp and 240nm, car was on 9k when I had it done and is now on 14k, it's transformed the way it drives, so much more fun to drive now.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I will second that.
Just 2128 miles, when I left the JBS premises and now 2471 miles on the clock.
116.7hp in standard tune with 155.1 ft lbs torque, now 143.2 Hp with an increase to 173.0 ft lbs.

No further modifications to the car. and drives like a GTi should

·
Registered
134 Posts
Of course, as is often the case, this thread has already strayed from the requested format, and although not inline with what has been requested, certainly staying on-topic, I would like to pose an additional question ...

Having successfully negotiated a price for your brand new Up! GTI with your dealer, what if he then presented you with the following options ...

1) On collection day, you collect your shiny new car from the dealership, exactly as described, and as expected.

2) Special Offer !! - Just £245 !! - The day before you collect it, we will drive it around the corner to a guy in an industrial unit who is in no way affiliated with us, nor recommended by us but who tells us he will reprogram your new cars ECU to give you better performance and will produce a printout (provided by himself of course) to prove it. Then, on collection day, you collect your shiny new car from the dealership, but your new car is supplied with absolutely no warranty whatsoever for your brand new engine, gearbox or drivetrain. Oh, and you might want to inform your insurer, and if you have any morals, you would also need to inform any prospective buyer, when the time comes to sell the car, that it has been modified by an unrecognised third party to the extent that its warranty is void and that they too must inform their insurer otherwise they risk driving uninsured.

So sir, just so I can process the order, what will it be ?

Oh, and if you were considering option number 2, just to let you know ... Should there be any recalls for your vehicle, in terms of mechanical design faults or issues, related to the engine, gearbox or drivetrain, then I’m afraid we wouldn’t be able to carry those out sir, we would have to charge you for them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Why does every thread about this subject end up with someone acting like everyone else is stupid and then stating the obvious?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Perhaps if there was no stupidity, then people wouldn’t be inclined to state the obvious. After all, aren’t forums supposed to be helpful ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
We all know that it voids your warranty,you must inform your insurance company and that the car will obviously explode 5 seconds later..

And even people frightened of all the above me included... Are still interested in people's experiences

·
Registered
134 Posts
I too am also interested, although I do view your suggestion that “the car will obviously explode 5 seconds later” as unduly sarcastic, especially considering that I made no reference whatsoever to reliability.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you two buzz off please.

I don't want "Should I change it?"
I want "who's changed it and how?"

If this was a thread about should I change it, there would be a sign on the thread saying " should I change it.....

OK i'll put the proper quote in here. Those of you born in the 1970s, this is for you:

Jimmie : [interupting] No, No, No, No, let me ask you a question. When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead N****r Storage"?

Jules : Jimmie, you know I ain't seen no...

Jimmie : [cutting him off again; getting angry] Did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead N****er Storage"?

Jules : [pause] No. I didn't.

Jimmie : You know WHY you didn't see that sign?

Jules : Why?

Jimmie : 'Cause it ain't there, 'cause storing dead n****ers ain't my f***ing business, that's why!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
And of course I'm joking.....

But the format, people. 1) 2) 3) 4)

The format!

Oh,, looks what's just popped up in upownersclub/forum/up! Model specific/up GTI

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can you two buzz off please.

I don't want "Should I change it?"
I want "who's changed it and how?"

If this was a thread about should I change it, there would be a sign on the thread saying " should I change it.....

OK i'll put the proper quote in here. Those of you born in the 1970s, this is for you:

Jimmie : [interupting] No, No, No, No, let me ask you a question. When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead N****r Storage"?

Jules : Jimmie, you know I ain't seen no...

Jimmie : [cutting him off again; getting angry] Did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead N****er Storage"?

Jules : [pause] No. I didn't.

Jimmie : You know WHY you didn't see that sign?

Jules : Why?

Jimmie : 'Cause it ain't there, 'cause storing dead n****ers ain't my f***ing business, that's why!
I have absolutely no idea what you’re rambling about, but I don’t believe that starting a thread on a public forum gives you the right to dictate what you do and don’t want in terms of replies, or to selectively suggest that certain contributors are unwelcome, especially when those replies are respectfully made with the best of intentions.

·
Registered
453 Posts
1) what mileage did you have it done on ? 19,000 miles after second service
2) What you've been told you have now 131/143/etc bhp ? 140-145
3) What problems you've had since and over how many miles? none, actually gave some feedback on this to mapper
4) if you had anything else done EG exhaust/filter Scorpion cat back, Racingline intake on order
5) who did it ? Racingline at their HQ in Milton Keynes as I have been a trade customer with them for 10 years

I have run a lot of mapped cars and also worked closely with Revo on four cars with development of Stage 1 and 2 maps evaluating their products before release.

The reason I did not map sooner is the reputation of one of the players from old did not make me want to go down that route and Racingline are closer to me and we had been speaking for a year, I really like how they have done it and they know I am fussy with throttle response.

Whsilt I love the up the lack of mid range and power did pose issues on motorways and if you wanted to overtake as your team exposed to danger was too high. The remap means it can live with day to day commuting and is far happier on the motorway and there is a bit of added burble.

The difference now is if I want a Sunday drive I do not always go for the Cayman.

In my years of running mapped cars I have not had many issues other than clutches starting to slip but that was more due to using in gear acceleration so using the torque rather than dropping down and using peak power. All my mapped cars are 20k a year motors.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts