Up Owners Club banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
645 Posts
Just get it done, and use a company that probably has the greatest knowledge and first hand experience in tuning the TSI engine.
The reason i chose JBS Auto design, is that they have tuned more UP Gtis than any other tuning company in the country.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks again all for experiences, and for keeping this thread down to 2 pages (and for dumping your OPINION keystrokes on my other thread !)

Got this back from JBS:
"We have tuned roughly 25-30 in the UK now, including the Milltek UP! GTI and our own two development cars.

At the moment we are running our January sale so the custom Stage 1 software is just £240, including free before and after power runs with dyno printout, and on a completely stock car we would expect to see around 140Bhp.
Thank you
Kind Regards
Customer Support"

I think next time I have cause to be in the Midlands I will book in with them. It's a 3 hour drive from me, and I haven't the time for that unless it coincides with something else.

William

·
Banned
645 Posts
That's exactly what they charged me, so my suggestion, is that you give them a ring.

All they want is that deposit from you, and a confirmed booking, and the date of that booking, is entirely up to you.

If you can only pay them a visit, say in April or May, then they will accommodate your booking during those months.
They will ask you for a deposit, i think mine was £96, and then you just pay the balance of the £240 when they have finished the remap.

Unlike other remaps ive had done in the past, this one took quite a while, just over three hours, and i suggest you take a book or some other reading material, as i thought they would never finish.
I too, travelled close on three hours from North Wales, and you should see just over 140hp after they have finished.

Strangely, they have yet to tune a Gti with exactly the 113 or 115hp claimed by Vw.
Mine was showing 116hp in standard tune, and just over 143 afterwards.

Just forget all the silly negative comments you have read here, from other members, just be confident, and give JBS a ring.
I know the three hour drive may sound quite a long way to travel, but rest assured JBS have more experience in tuning the small 1 Litre TSI engine, and thats why i chose them, and i was more than happy with the end result.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Unlike other remaps ive had done in the past, this one took quite a while, just over three hours,
I'd be worried if it took less time. There should be a set-up, then a few dyno runs to get base readings, new values uploaded, more test runs to make sure everything works right and adjust and then done.
If you ever go somewhere and they do one dyno run, upload the map, do another run and then tell you they're done i'd be very worried.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1) what mileage did you have it done on ? 8k
2) What you've been told you have now 131/143/etc bhp ? 134bhp
3) What problems you've had since and over how many miles? None :) 28k
4) if you had anything else done EG exhaust/filter Miltek exhaust and sports springs
5) who did it ? VRT in Slough

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OK this is all is very very useful.

I've just been out in a forum member's JBS tuned car, and I'm won over. It's a big improvement, and springs too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Doc was the car just remapped or any other modifications and did it have lowering springs with the standard dampers? Any feedback appreciated 👍

·
Banned
645 Posts
Ive found that the car does not really need any other modifications, once its been remapped.
Driving back from Chesterfield last year, the thing i noticed the most, was just how good the Vw set up was in standard form.

Driving to Chesterfield my Gti was producing 116hp, and on its return home, i had 143.2Hp.

The power delivery is silky smooth, and it almost feels like the engine has been swapped for something of a larger capacity.
Even the engine note has changed, everything feels different from when the car was standard.

Power delivery arrives gradually, and never seems to stop, the engine never gets out of breath at the top end of the rev range.

Last October, when thankfully there were no police around to witness my antics, i thought i would see how fast the car would go, before i got scared.

Well, it reached 100mph surprisingly quickly, and was still accelerating powerfully, thats when i backed off, just incase i was spotted.

The increased power and torque, clearly showed that the technicians designing the modifications for the Gti, certainly knew what they were doing.
Obviously lowering the suspension, wider tyres, free flowing exhaust etc will improve the car even further, but the increased power only goes to show how well set up, the Up Gti is in standard form.

With more power on offer, the car comes alive, and because the power delivery is very controlled, it never becomes a handful on twisty roads.

It just goes to show, Vw could easily have upped the power on the standard car, to 140hp and beyond, and still had a winner on their hands.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The Doc was the car just remapped or any other modifications and did it have lowering springs with the standard dampers? Any feedback appreciated 👍
JBS remap. DIfferent springs, but standard dampers, not really lowered, Standard tyres and 17" rims.
A car modified to keep it useable as a daily driver, not a track car or a teenager's idiot-mobile.

It looked unaltered, but drove much better than mine (which is currently stock)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you know what springs they were and did they seem like a worthwhile addition? It's nice to get some actual first hand feedback as often the minute you say about a spring change you instantly get told on here you must throw the whole set up in the bin... But I've never had any problem with the standard set up just wouldn't mind a touch less arch gap

·
Banned
645 Posts
Here's a quick note, that might be of interest.
Took the Gti out this afternoon, a rare treat indeed, and tried to work out exactly where the power comes in, whilst driving the car fairly spiritedly.

Everything seems to happen as soon as the car reaches 2000rpm, below that, and the car just drives along normally.
The acceleration is mighty impressive, and the speedo needle just climbs at an alarming rate, in a fairly short distance.

Before you know it, the needle is touching 80-90mph and still climbing, you have to back off sharpish, otherwise your in licence losing territory.

Its so addictive, that you want to do it again and again, and even driving very quickly, the car returned 53.2mpg, which is impressive.

Even on a standard suspension set up, the car feels ever so grown up, a quality product.
Its difficult to explain, but you feel like your driving a much larger car, and an impeccably built one as well.

There may have been a significant price increase, but for the build quality and interior refinement, it still represents good value for money, the car feels built to last.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts