Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my Up serviced and like many of you I had the software update on the ECU .

Noticed a couple of things :

Is it me or have they increased the tick over speed, perhaps to reduce the occasional
gear cluster noise which will be reduced at higher revs !

If this is the case it might explain my gearbox. It was ok before but now when I reverse off the drive each morning from cold the reverse gear crunches...... not too impressed !!

It is ok when the engine/gearbox is warm.

It might be a coincidence and noises/rumbles do come and go on cars............. just wondered if anyone else had noticed this ?

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not wishing to cause controversy I would suggest it is better to reverse onto the drive so you can just drive off. There is a valid reason for this because it is best that the engine warms to operating temperature a soon as possible. This can be helped by driving straight off and will save fuel at the same time.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beevee said:
Not wishing to cause controversy I would suggest it is better to reverse onto the drive so you can just drive off. There is a valid reason for this because it is best that the engine warms to operating temperature a soon as possible. This can be helped by driving straight off and will save fuel at the same time.

Good idea Beevee and I might just do that, you could also put the car into reverse then start the engine with the clutch down.

But I would prefer to jump in the car any time with it hot or cold and go forwards or backwards !

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Didn't think you would take it seriously.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beevee said:

Normally I wouldn't but it's very annoying to have a crunching gearbox !

But just for you Beevee..............ho ho ho ho ho

·
Registered
198 Posts
Put it into the first gear first, and only then into reverse. The reverse gear doesn't have some synchronizing... thingies.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
What he said, yes, synchro rings for reverse can be a bit iffy, occasionally in cannot get reverse until I let the clutch up in neutral.....rare and , to be honest, a quirk rather than fault.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont have a problem with reverse, but mines only a couple of months old. Also you have to push down to select reverse. Never had that in any of my other cars. Is it a VW thing?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scuba_2903 said:
I dont have a problem with reverse, but mines only a couple of months old. Also you have to push down to select reverse. Never had that in any of my other cars. Is it a VW thing?
Not on mine.....they must have made a few changes !

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
The push down bit is new for MY 2014

·
Registered
619 Posts
Privatedoc said:
What he said, yes, synchro rings for reverse can be a bit iffy, occasionally in cannot get reverse until I let the clutch up in neutral.....rare and , to be honest, a quirk rather than fault.

Same for me - reverse is a bit tricky to select (sometimes) first thing in the morning. I usually leave my car in gear when parked and start it with the clutch pedal down. Once the engine has started, I occasionally have to press the clutch pedal a couple of times while in neutral before I can select reverse. The Up is no worse in this respect compared to the other cars I've had.

·
Registered
325 Posts
All seven manual VAG cars I've had have done this sometimes. I start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed then have to lift and depress the clutch pedal again before it will engage 1st or reverse.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Derkie54 said:
Beevee said:

Hi Derek. I wasn't joking. Apparently you really do save fuel by reverse parking. Much the same as you do by maintaining correct tyre pressures and gentle acceleration and breaking. It's not just a skill you learn to pass the driving test.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beevee said:
Derkie54 said:
Beevee said:

Hi Derek. I wasn't joking. Apparently you really do save fuel by reverse parking. Much the same as you do by maintaining correct tyre pressures and gentle acceleration and breaking. It's not just a skill you learn to pass the driving test.

Hi Beevee,
Not sure about reverse parking saving fuel as the gearing in first gear is normally higher than reverse so more mpg in first and I would use more fuel driving past my house and reversing back in....... but let's not fall out over a cupful of fuel.

My main point was no reverse crunching before ECU update and crunching after the software update and the only difference I could see was a higher tick over speed ( I think ).

What made you go for an ASG gearbox Beevee (might try one next time) ?

Derek

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is due for its first service this month - can't believe it's been a year of my first car.
I like the idea of reversing onto my drive but.. I'd have to do it on a slope, as my house and one directly opposite have a shared downward sloping drive, then my space is off it. Not enough space to go to the bottom of the slope and reverse backwards and upwards.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Derek. I've had automatics for the last fifteen years including BMW 1 and 5 series and wouldn't go back to manual. Although when I ordered my Up! there were no autos to test and no reports to read my wife has had an automatic 107 for the last seven years so I had an idea what an automatic Up! would be like. I have now retired and am no longer racing around so I thought the Up! would be just right. In fact the money I saved running the BMW is paying for the Up! I have the sensor pack mainly for the cruise control and can set it to run at 60 on country roads and it will handle bends and hills with no problem. I am also able to drive manually if I want to for faster acceleration or use kick down which works just as well. Eighteen months in and I'm loving it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts