Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I drove an electric Citroën AX about 20 years ago when electric cars were just being developped. It was only round a carpark, but I can vouch for the acceleration. Up to about 20mph, they're astonishing, but the power soon peters out. And then there's the range, of course...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Why can't they make a nuclear powered version? I'd buy that....no problems with recharging.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've always kept an eye on the development of electric vehicles and the e-up! has certainly piqued my interest.

All the reviews are extremely positive, but with price (still) being the major obstacle. 95% of my journeys are a short commute four times a day and it would be ideal. I'm not due to up!-grade for two-and-a-half years and I'm hoping by that time that prices will have come down further, the charging infrastructure is better and the car has a greater range. I have an up! white with all the options and so should get a decent trade-in.

However, I also have to consider my domestic situation. I currently have a driveway and could in theory install a home charging point. If I do that and go ahead with the purchase, and later end up moving to a flat/apartment (which could happen), I'd be a bit immobile! Also the residual values are still an unknown quantity.

Volkswagen sent me this link to an article about electric cars in Norway and how they've taken off because of the many government incentives. It does open your eyes to how the UK is lagging behind.

The e-up! is one to watch I think. If it does well, there's also a twin up! hybrid waiting in the wings. I'm still very much on the fence; if I don't do the mileage (and my current up! is only costing £10 a week to top up), I may end up getting a High up! BMT. It would knock the tax disc down to zero and perhaps give me even more economy than I'm getting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts