Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has changed but the VW App now shows electric window switches illuminated, new owners will need to let us know if this is the case!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Where a outs is that mentioned? I use the iPad app

·
Registered
727 Posts
Illuminated window switches..?! Bad idea..!! Would be the most dangerous and distracting thing I could think of in an up! Drivers shouldn't gazing nearly straight downwards at anilluminated light switch when they really should be looking down the road..!! The window switches can be easily found by a driver's hand/fingers without having to take their eyes off the road..!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
vwild1 said:
Illuminated window switches..?! Bad idea..!! Would be the most dangerous and distracting thing I could think of in an up! Drivers shouldn't gazing nearly straight downwards at anilluminated light switch when they really should be looking down the road..!! The window switches can be easily found by a driver's hand/fingers without having to take their eyes off the road..!
Its not lighthouse bright just a small glow?
No distraction at all

·
Registered
727 Posts
gary02tdi said:
Its not lighthouse bright just a small glow?
No distraction at all

The point wasn't how bright they would be rather the fact that your eyes would be looking downwards at them and not the road while driving at night.

·
Registered
467 Posts
vwild1 said:
The point wasn't how bright they would be rather the fact that your eyes would be looking downwards at <b style="line-height: 1.4;">them[/b] and not the road while driving at night.
I think illuminatedswitchesare good for the new customers who doesn't know VW switch layout so good. In dark time with illuminated switches it will take only a sec to find the need one, not finding it by touching, trying to reach it for at least 10 sec.

Edited by: b82ry

·
Registered
397 Posts
vwild1 said:
... Drivers shouldn't (be) gazing nearly straight downwards .....
The difference is between GAZING and a GLANCE! Doesn't the driver need to look around for a glance at ... rear view mirror, door mirrors, the various controls? Dashboard switches and instruments are all illuminated - for a good reason. So why not the controls on the drivers door?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Place your arm on the door-rest and you'll find the window switch is directly under your fingers, no need for visual aids.

Reactions: Marty84

·
Registered
142 Posts
or just buy a take up and have window winders?, saying that i upgraded to electric windows with comfort pack anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Simples.....only take to the roads when it is daylight !

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've just had my High Up and none of the door switches are illuminated; not a problem but it does seem a little bare when you're used to it in previous cars.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What it really needs is illuminated electric mirror joystick thing - currently have no idea if I have the heated mirrors switched on at night.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you missing the light, the PCB board is prepared for it, you have to find a Golf or polo switch to take cap from. Else simply operation to get light in window switch

Picture is from the new dobbelt switch, but the old switch you can do the same with.

Edited by: ldi

·
Registered
171 Posts
TurboTomato said:
What it really needs is illuminated electric mirror joystick thing - currently have no idea if I have the heated mirrors switched on at night.
See here for a mod to address that!

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
vwild1 said:

I am struggling to think ofa reason that illuminated window switches are a bad idea, seeing as pretty much 99% of cars fitted with electric windows have illuminated switches, the Up! being my first car without them (other than my Nova, but that had a window winder!). I can't say having a small illuminated switch draws my attention from where I am going, its just nice to be able to find the **** thing in the dark, as there are occasions where I need to open the window in the dark. What next, no illumination on the dash clocks so you can't see how fast you're going in the dark? The radio?

I have said this to the sales guys where I work (a VW main dealer) that I think VW took a car like an Aygo, used it as a benchmark for what is expected at this level of car, and basically put the VW slant on it, instead of redefining it. Its not as if VW don't have illuminated switches at the factory or available to a design team, my 96 polo had mk2 golf switches that were lit up, my 03 Lupo has illuminated switches. Its just a cost cutting measure which is probably one of the only complaints I really have about the car.

Hopefully VW will resolve this in a future update, I'll keep my fingers crossed.......

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think they have already resolved this for those who need it. To me it's not a problem you don't need to look for the switch as it is instinctive like putting the key in the ignition or operating wipers, full beam or indicators.

·
Registered
252 Posts
lupogtiboy said:
vwild1 said:

I am struggling to think ofa reason that illuminated window switches are a bad idea, seeing as pretty much 99% of cars fitted with electric windows have illuminated switches, the Up! being my first car without them (other than my Nova, but that had a window winder!). I can't say having a small illuminated switch draws my attention from where I am going, its just nice to be able to find the **** thing in the dark, as there are occasions where I need to open the window in the dark. What next, no illumination on the dash clocks so you can't see how fast you're going in the dark? The radio?

I have said this to the sales guys where I work (a VW main dealer) that I think VW took a car like an Aygo, used it as a benchmark for what is expected at this level of car, and basically put the VW slant on it, instead of redefining it. Its not as if VW don't have illuminated switches at the factory or available to a design team, my 96 polo had mk2 golf switches that were lit up, my 03 Lupo has illuminated switches. Its just a cost cutting measure which is probably one of the only complaints I really have about the car.

Hopefully VW will resolve this in a future update, I'll keep my fingers crossed.......

I think you are being a little hard on VW saying they benchmarked the original Aygo, the refinement is far far superior to one of those (we used to own a 57 plate one) & its motorway manners are in a different class altogether. All road teat I have read also state that the Mk2 Aygo & the rest of its sisters still don't reach the standard of the Up! clan, unless you want a full length sunroof. I wonder how long it will be until VW offer that as an option......

1 - 20 of 47 Posts