Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just returned from a coach trip to Hillingdon. Our coach driver was shocked to find that the emission zone now covers that area. He had to pay £200 to enter the area for the day. I am assuming he also had to pay the same amount for further days.

Can anyone tell me how this emission zone system effects our nifty little VW Up! cars? I suppose I could google for the information but thought others on the forum might also like to know.

WhatI would like to know is things like prices per day? What about Motorways passing through the zones?Are some people exempt such as those with invalidity passes etc.? What if you live in the area? What if you are staying in an hotel or with a friend on a visit? Anything on the subject at all.And of course anyway of dodging it altogether legally of course?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Only way would be to buy a Bluemotion to avoid it, sorry don't know much more

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Just in case anyone is confused, there is the congestion zone, in the centre, and an emissions zone which extends quite far out i.e. greater London I think. I believe a little Up would be free of emissions zone charges, cos it's such a nice clean little beastie. How could our lovely Ups be otherwise?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The emissions zones will only likely result in large vehicles such as coaches and trucks etc. getting charged. I don't think cars are affected by these zones.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everybody. I have since googled for the info. and it seems it only applies to big vehicles, mostly diesel guzzlers,as pointed out by mogwai, thank God for that. All these restrictions seem to be increasing and things have come (or gone) a long way since I first started driving. Recently on a quick visit to Alderney in the Channel Isles, I was surprised to see motorcyclists zooming around with no crash hats on, I was also informed that they do not have MOT's there either. What a good idea! It's not as far to emigrate as Australia either.

Maybe because the VW Up! doesn't use huge amounts of fuel it will become a best seller. Judging by the waiting time and the amount of customers waiting for orders, it may already be a best seller.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Bingalau said:
Maybe because the VW Up! doesn't use huge amounts of fuel it will become a best seller. Judging by the waiting time and the amount of customers waiting for orders, it may already be a best seller.
I see loads of Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo cars on the motorways and local roads when commuting. The Up IS better than those, so I think you are right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts