1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings people with knowledge.

Have an up!
Manual, 75Hp, 3 door.
Daughters UP has developed a whistle under the bonnet.
When the car went in for the 30K service (at 14K) I showed the tech the noise it was making when it was hot.
He opened the expansion bottle and the noise was substantially reduced.
So at least he knew/was aware of the noise by looking at the expansion bottle cap firstly.
He suspected it was something to do with the waterpump.

The service report said they had contacted VW Aust. and were waiting for a reply re what to do next.

Anyone here had a similar problem, with what resolution?

Regards,

David

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It has been documented on here that some have experienced this. In some cases it has meant fitting a new water pump. This sort of noise is generally associated with the water pump.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Usually, whistling noises starts to produce when the belt for the water pump is tightened too much, and thus ruining the bearings in the water pump.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ah interesting.that might be why mine is being recalled this week then.
when they did the air con service 2 weeks ago they noticed a faint noise (can't be heard from inside the car) so they are investigating.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I get a whistling sound when I lift off the accelerator; it stops when I press the accelerator pedal. Is this what others are experiencing and should I get it checked out? First annual service is due at end August so I could wait and mention it then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I already have this problem {the whistle} in the past. The water pump was replaced when the car was with 4500 km. Now i have 13000 km, and all quiet.Seat Mii, 75hp, 3 Door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi new to the forumive just purchased a vw up white with service plan , 1 year old , noticed a whistle, and slightly lumpy tickover , booked in for first service which is obviously free, will the dealer try and charge me for checking the above problems ?
thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There should be no charge as the car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Got the whistle myself now. Took it to the dealer this morning and the engineer had a listen and a play around. I told him it was most likely the water pump and left it with him. Got a phone call this afternoon to tell me they were going to replace the water pump under the warranty. Result!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi again just had my up whites first service done at vw dealer , mentioned the whistle , report came back theres no problem , whistle still there though ??? it dissapears on reving up , any thoughts ?
cheers

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Ask them to explain what is causing the noise and why they think there is no problem. If you do not get satisfaction I would contact VW direct and ask them for advice also you can always ask another dealer for a second opinion. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi yea same problem with my "up white" had its first service last week , dealer checked it out and said everythings fine , there supposed to be experts , will have to go with that for now .

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi , just reading your post. Check your belts they might need tightening up.
If not it might be the water pump on its way.
hope you get it sorted
Regards Phill

·
Registered
28 Posts
The belt{s} are in the left side of the engine, and the water pump placed in the right side.It"s a big black part, with many rubber hoses around. You cannot access the water pump belt.
The water pump needs replacement with a new one, and with the right tension on the belt.
Regullary, the water pump should last, at least 60000 mi. I don"t know why they finish their lives so soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blackpuppy said:
Usually, whistling noises starts to produce when the belt for the water pump is tightened too much, and thus ruining the bearings in the water pump.
Every waterpump problem I have had that had bearing noises - didn't basically disappear with the coolant bottle open.

Still haven't heard back from VW AU.
Obviously a known problem in EU?

David

·
Registered
28 Posts
Serious question:Exist someone here in this entire forum, they have been replaced the water pump in hus car,TWICE?
If "yes",please refer the mileage for the first, and the second one.
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They finally got their act into gear.
Replaced water pump, and contaminated cam belt.
Replaced coolant.
All under warranty.
Make sure you get it attended to as obviously belt contamination is an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts