Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As engine is opened and dirt can get on the timing belt...

...I have visited guys who make engine guards. Specially on my Up they have designed and after 1,5 months produced it. Today I got it installed.

Customer price around 70 Eur. And this is not the cheap plastic, which will fall in to peaces after first bump/ rock.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looks very useful indeed, any more details? Where does it fix to the car? It's a pity for us in the UK that the makers are in Latvia!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Skoda Citigos, on some markets, have an option "engine protection from bad roads". Is this the same... thingy? If yes, it might be easier to get from Skoda dealers locally...

Edited by: ptae2000e

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Details:material - 4mm glass fibre (not a cheap plastic)
fixing points - 5 (6mm steel bolts fixed in car frame made fixing holes/ 2 in both sides, 3 in back)

My wish was to have two "ears" (one on each side), so the dirt/ mud doesn't get on the engine and timing belt:

company who makes such guards is called RLM, here's the web site:http://translate.google.lv/translate?hl=lv&sl=lv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Frlm.lv%2Flv%2F

You should write an e-mail and ask if it's possible to transport it to UK. I think, the main issue is the car preparation with fixing points on frame.
I have asked my colleague who is responsible for VW warranty in Baltic's, he said, that the only case when warranty won't be valid, if there will be some rust on fixing points.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is interesting as when I looked at the underbelly of my up, everything (bar gas tank and catalytic converter) were concealed by a plastic-like plate. Will Definately be checking this now I've seen yours, make sure I've not been scraping my engine!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Have you seen any effect on engine temperature / warm-up time with the cover installed ?

Standard up!s tend to run rather cold from what I'm hearing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Is the belt on the photo actually the timing belt? Is it not the auxiliary belt that drives the alternator etc?
I assumed the actual timing belt would be covered up by casing on the engine as its a very important belt.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Up engine warms up better than 1.2TSI on 2012 Beetle, because of the well built exhaust system (I have put technical picture of engine in forum already).But there is truth, the engine warms up faster with the guard.

The timing belt on Up is not covered and when in wet time the steering wheel is turned on the right, all dirt gets on the belt. If you want, i can put technical pic of the engine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yes please

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry mate, I have garbled both belts.
You're right: The toothed belt is protected against the ingress of dust and dirt by a three-part toothed belt cover. This extends the service life of the toothed belt.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No worries

Those pictures are interesting. I had assumed the aircon compressor would be electric, but it is belt driven.
Where did you find the pictures? I'm quite interested in looking inside things ( although I would never touch them ) lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
My uno managed to slip a tooth on the cam pulley. Possibly a stone or a dope at the dealer. Subsequently I replaced the cam belt myself being competent.

·
Registered
583 Posts
b82ry said:
fixing points - 5 (6mm steel bolts fixed in car frame made fixing holes/ 2 in both sides, 3 in back)
Did they tap a thread into the frame, or did they use nuts and bolts to fix it ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They installed a planch for each mounting point, each planch was fixed with 2 rivets to the frame.
The planch have a hole with thread for the engine guard fixing bolt.

Visualized the explanation in MS Paint
:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Rednaxela said:
No worries

Those pictures are interesting. I had assumed the aircon compressor would be electric, but it is belt driven.

I kind of wondered too why the aircon compressor was belt driven instead of electric - you get electric motor assisted power steering these days so why not aircon? An electric compressor would integrate better (I think) with the car's Stop/Start technology where fitted. Perhaps it is just a case of VW bolting on a system that is tried and tested rather than developing something completely new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys, I have seen now how much is "naked" our up down there. :(
Last night was raining a lot here in Italy and from 1000 up to 1500/2000rpm I had a weird sound..like a engine-belt wet..possible? I mean there isn't an engine guard and now after the night in garage seems all ok.

ptae2000e said:
Skoda Citigos, on some markets, have an option "engine protection from
bad roads". Is this the same... thingy? If yes, it might be easier to
get from Skoda dealers locally...
Interesting..what markets? Maybe there is also for UP!
Besides the possibility of getting wet, isn't imho so safe soo naked..

·
Registered
957 Posts
Lots of cars do not have engine shields and they also have similar alternator/water pump belt drives.
Unless you drive over ploughed field or the like the only thing that might get up there is a bit of water spray.... full marks for a nice modification that you have done but I don't think it is a major problem !!Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
393 Posts
The usual markets that we (Toyota) fit/sell the rough road package to are, Chile, South Africa, Iran, Nigeria, and sometimes, but rarely to West Russia amongst others.

Matt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts