Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to discover whether any other forum users have had the engine of their Up! mapped. If so, has the expense been worth it?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Miserable Git said:
I'm curious to discover whether any other forum users have had the engine of their Up! mapped. If so, has the expense been worth it?
Have you tried to use the search engine of the forum?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have remapped cars in the past and IMHO, it isn't worth doing. Yes, you get a bit of extra power and/or torque but you can just tell the engine has been messed with. hard to describe, but it just feels a bit 'off'...

·
Registered
95 Posts
That must have been bad maps then.

My last Four cars have been mapped from a 300bhp Diesel Audi to a 1.6 Tdi Focus and each map has been Fantastic. It will very much depend on the quality of the company doing the mapping. Max power maps are not always the best in the real world.

Smoother, quieter, more power when you need it, along with more economy when driving like for like.

A remap benefits a Turbo engine better than a NA engine though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
UpMan said:
I have remapped cars in the past and IMHO, it isn't worth doing. Yes, you get a bit of extra power and/or torque but you can just tell the engine has been messed with. hard to describe, but it just feels a bit 'off'...
In the case of the Up! it is a bit different, because there is an "official" remapping from 60PS to75 PS.

·
Registered
265 Posts
uphu said:
In the case of the Up! it is a bit different, because there is an "official" remapping from 60PS to75 PS.
Negative, the differential ratio is different in the two versions.

·
Super Moderator
1,496 Posts
Upon talking to the Service Manager at VW regarding modifications and warranty, mucking around with the engine is something that VW take very serious. They simply don't like it, and will void the entire warranty on the car if its been found that you've had the ECU remapped.

Just something to bear in mind.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mulo said:
uphu said:
Negative, the differential ratio is different in the two versions.
I have heard this before but is untrue, power difference really is a remap. I will stand corrected if the gearbox and final drive are actually diferent. The parts CD lists just the one gearbox and final drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny how my friend who does Mapping, has done a lot for VW / SEAT dealers for their demo cars......

Got me wondering if it was a sneaky trick to get you to think the cars was faster than actually is.

I've had lots of remaps done, nearly all were vast improvements. My old 2.5 Touareg went from 17mpg to 25mpg towing a big 24 ft caravan to Spain. Smart cars were big improvements too.

You do need a Turbo to get the best fro any Map though.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Miserable Git said:
No, I already knew where the engine was even without a map..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts