Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry cannot find previous post!

Getting a tad concerned about this and will be taking car back to dealers.

Just as a sanity check does anyone else get this....

Engine/gearbox quiet 1 through to 4 but then in 5th there is a slight rattling noise esp' lower down the rev range.

It does not sound like pinking from way which had a tinkling noise - this is a definite rattle.

If you do get this exact noise in 5th gear can you let me know pleaese.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Mine has a rattle in 5th lower down the revs too. I'm not concerned though as I'm sure it's just normal for the little engine to struggle a bit if the revs are not there. I'm now at 900 miles. If it ever changes, then I may worry.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
If you go by the gear change indicator, it asks you to change up to 5th a bit early IMHO

The 3 cylinders and odd timing gear are what I think makes the noise...wouldn't worry, they all do that!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sounds like you may be changing to 5th too early and that's causing knocking...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just keep the revs above 2000rpm and the (normal) noise should disappear. As others have mentioned, these sounds become faint or less intrusive as the various components bed in.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Leif said:
I routinely keep the revs below 1,500 for economy.

I think you do get the best economy, keeping the revs as low as possible, going up through the gears. However, I find the car labours and gets noisy ator below 1500rpm in the higher gears, probably due to the lack of torque at these engine speeds.

Once the car is at cruising speed, at 50mph say, the engineis turningover atabout2000rpm in 5th gear. There should be very little noise from the engine at these speeds, once the car has covered a few miles.

Incidentally, my car seems to have a sweet spot at about 60mph - very little noise from the engine, little road noise or vibration and requires only light pressure on the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
Leif said:
I routinely keep the revs below 1,500 for economy.

I think you do get the best economy, keeping the revs as low as possible, going up through the gears. However, I find the car labours and gets noisy ator below 1500rpm in the higher gears, probably due to the lack of torque at these engine speeds.

Once the car is at cruising speed, at 50mph say, the engineis turningover atabout2000rpm in 5th gear. There should be very little noise from the engine at these speeds, once the car has covered a few miles.

Incidentally, my car seems to have a sweet spot at about 60mph - very little noise from the engine, little road noise or vibration and requires only light pressure on the accelerator pedal.
Maybe your car is not run in or you have something I have read about called a 'hill', popular in Wales and other colonies (1) apparently. Mine will do 35mph in 5'th without labouring. Mind you, I have the TakeUp, and I think you have the more powerful engine, possibly it does behave a bit differently.

(1) Just joking. No need to slap on the woad, and load up with pitchforks and an AA map of England.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Leif: Ha - very good, AA map of England - I would use a sat nav but I would still get lost (it's a trust thing)!
My car will go into 5th at about 1500rpm but it does not sound or feel very 'happy' doing so, unless the road is relatively flat. Usually, I just stay in 4th a bit longer and change up nearer 2000rpm. The engine/gearbox seem to perform a bit more smoothly this way with less noise.

As you guessed though, my driving 'style' is dictated by the local terrain; there are hills in every direction from my house. Also, my local roads are populatedby 'foot to the floor'types who want to travel everywhere at top speed, with little time for the fuel conscious in a small car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This noise is audible over the M&M at 50mph +.

Why would all the other gears sound ok even at lower rev's?

·
Registered
619 Posts
My comments are only based on observations of my own car and, as a result, I can say that the the Up is a bit noisy when new (even at 50mph)but only when the engine is under load i.e. in 5th going up a hill at 50mph or accelerating.
As others have mentioned, the car really becomes quieter with miles travelled and should purr along at 50mph with very little noise, even with the engine under load. My previous comments are valid though - let the revs drop in 5th and you will hear more mechanical noise. This is no different to any other car though.

You did not mention how many miles your car has covered. If it has, say, 2000 - 3000 miles on the clock and 5th gear is noisy at 50mph+, that would be a concern. All you can do in this case is return it to your dealer for comparisonto other cars and have it repaired if required.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
400 miles completed.

Went to the dealer today and drove a demo' car. Could not take our up! in as it was away on a trip to Liverpool (more of which in a separate post in the M&M section).

Strangely the engine is noisier than ours through all the gears!

But...the noise is wafflier whereas ours sounds like a very slight clatter.

Taking ours to the dealer on Tues next week for the tech' guys to have a listen.

Will keep you posted.

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
532 Posts
I could meet up and do a compare, once my car's been delivered!!

Our Citroen C2 used to make strange noises when pressed hard in the low gears, but it improved after a good drenching during the recent floods!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been to dealer for a test drive today to check out the noise.

They say noise is normal. Explanation being thin gearbox casing and natural vibration frequencies of the components.

When asked why the (slight) noise is only in 5th they said it would be because of the position of the 5th gear cogs in relation to adjacent metalwork etc.

They said it may well disappear with time as components bed in which supports what members are saying on here.

Told us to run it for 500-1000 more miles and they will look at it if we are still worried.

Was also told that they had had several ups! back with assorted under bonnet noises and tht vW are saying all is normal.

NB: our noise disappears totally at 60 mph which I think supports the resonance theory?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Have you tried to record the noise on a mobile phone? Perhaps a technical person might be able to diagnose the noise and hopefully put your mind at rest.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts