Up Owners Club banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Yes I get this noise too. Only in 5th gear when the engine is under load and typically between 50 - 65mph, its like a raspy metallic noise, almost like someone is shaking a bag of rusty nails in the engine bay. Once I hit 70ish is goes. I also get the faint whining/whistle in 5th too and get a whine in 2nd at slower speeds. Can't make up my mind whether these are all just characteristics of the car or what...

I'm not worrying too much about these noises. I would suggest most of it is the gearbox. Have you ever heard the noise from a rally car transmission. It's a racket and ASFAIK it's because the gears are straight cut. This minimises loss of power in the gearbox, and is stronger, but is very noisy. most car gears will be helical cut which means more sliding of gears rather than straight meshing. Smaller gear boxes probably mean the helix angle is shallow and so is more noisy. (I am guessing somewhat)
Edited by: ducatikid

I took mine to 5000rpm in third today for the first time. What a wonderful noise.. It's like a happy washing machine on full spin.
I liked it a lot.

Rednaxela said:
I took mine to 5000rpm in third today for the first time. What a wonderful noise.. It's like a happy washing machine on full spin.
I liked it a lot.
Funny, I did the exact same thing yesterday because up to now I never went above 3500rpm... I let her go in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear up to 5000rpm a few times... lovely noice and the "performance" is not bad at all for such a litlle engine

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.