Up Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, had an up gti for 3 months now and generally enjoying it. Have a couple of issues which hopefully someone here may know about. Reverse gear can be quite noisy to engage. Is this the “newness” or is it an issue. Secondly when the car is started there is a pronounced ticking sound which seems to go once the oil temperature starts to rise on the MFD. am I being paranoid or is this an issue? Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Reverse should be easy to engage with no noise like most cars.... No synchro on reverse of course, so occasionally you may get a slight crunch if the car is moving slightly or if you are quick to engage reverse from another gear.

Ticking sounds like oil pressure for cam followers. Check oil level. It may/should go when the car has been used a bit after the first oil change.

You are under warranty with a 3-month old car, so why not demo it all to the dealer and get an opinion?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi, had an up gti for 3 months now and generally enjoying it. Have a couple of issues which hopefully someone here may know about. Reverse gear can be quite noisy to engage. Is this the “newness” or is it an issue. Secondly when the car is started there is a pronounced ticking sound which seems to go once the oil temperature starts to rise on the MFD. am I being paranoid or is this an issue? Any advice would be appreciated
Hello Stephen,

You’re not being paranoid, nor do you have anything to worry about !

My Up GTI exhibits both of those characteristics and I’m not concerned about either of them.

The ticking noise you describe is only really noticeable on cold startup when the air/fuel mixture is richer, resulting in a fast idle. Once the engine temp increases beyond a certain threshold, the idle speed drops and the ticking stops. I can understand it initially being a cause of concern since the rattle is periodic, but it’s quite well documented on here, with a slight rattling of the wastegate linkage mechanism being the suggested source of the noise, rather than worn or defective internal engine components. Other posts on this topic would suggest that not all Up! GTI’s exhibit this characteristic.

With regards to engaging reverse gear, it’s most probably noisier on a swift change from a forward gear to reverse immediately after stopping. Again, it really doesn’t bother me, but if you don’t like it then double declutching when you make the transition from the forward gear to reverse should give you a smoother, quieter engagement.

I really wouldn’t be concerned at all, and wouldn‘t suggest wasting your time and energy visiting your dealer only to return feeling “fobbed off”.

Enjoy your fantastic new car !

Hope this helps,

J.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, the car was new when I got it(only took 49 years to buy a new car) . Had a groove up before which didn’t have either issue bit was different engine and gearbox. I can take it back to the dealer under the warranty obviously but I don’t have a great deal of confidence with vw dealers so thought I’d message here first . Like I said that is for the advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts