Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had just bought a new UP! and it's engine noise is louder than the one we took for a test drive. The sound is similar to a leaky exhaust, although it can't be that as only done 15 miles. I wondered if anyone has a similar issue or whether it normal. I have also ordered an Up! and collect it in couple weeks so will see how mine compares. I did speak to the VW garage and they tell me the car will become quieter after a few hundred miles?

·
Registered
540 Posts
What the dealer says is correct in most cases. You need to wear (bed) it in a bit first (although this conventional wisdom is up for debate). Remember the 3 cylinder engine in the UP can also be pretty loud (and sound pretty a satisfying at high revs too!), so factor that in when you're evaluating how loud the car sounds.

My advice is to follow the dealers advice and let the car settle. If after a few more hundred miles it's still really loud consider taking it back and letting them take a quick look, but the chances are it will settle down the more miles you've put on the odometer.

Consider searching the forum for threads that discuss this topic:

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/engine-sounds-like-a-diesel_topic4154.html?KW=Loud+engineEdited by: Fidel_Castronaut

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I must admit I have never found my Up! to be noisy from the first moment I picked it up. When stationary in tick over it is so quiet that the only way I know the engine is running is to look at the rev counter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. At idling its quiet but just when accelerating gently, usually in 1st or 2nd gear and at low revs. It's not too noisy but the sound is like when an exhaust is starting to blow.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just run your Up In for about 1000 miles. Do not over rev and don't labour the engine. That is very important! If you follow these guide lines you will have a very sweet engine at the end. Mine is now at 4100 miles, and is a little gem.

Go well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Did the salesman turn the stereo on to disguise it when you were test driving? They do that you know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is the same. Lows revs, high gear and it sounds like the exhaust is blowing. It doesn't do it in lower gears, at least not that I notice anyway. I've been meaning to mention it to the dealer, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. My wife is convinced it's not doing that well on fuel either so I'm beginning to wonder if there is a problem. I collect my new Up on 1st march so will see if mines the same.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I find mine remarkably quiet now it has done 5,000 miles, still avoiding using too low revs. I did insist on doing an oil change at 1500 and also use Shell V power; which in the past I found paid for itself with slightly better fuel consumption, but also ran cleaner. Certainly is no noisier than my Ford KA. Consumption improved beyond 1500 miles. On motorway runs getting upper 50s - run around town work down to 52ish.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm getting around 42-45mpg on my day commute, and that involves about 7 miles of up and down hills, and Twisty back roads here in Wales. On a steady run down the motorway I can get 50 plus easily though....

·
Registered
851 Posts
bigandy said:
Mine is the same. Lows revs, high gear and it sounds like the exhaust is blowing. It doesn't do it in lower gears, at least not that I notice anyway. I've been meaning to mention it to the dealer, but I haven't gotten around to it yet...
Yes, that happened to me. For whatever reason, i didn't change down and tried accelerating in 5th whilst going slowly and i got that throaty roar like the exhaust was blowing. Clearly this is a feature and nothing to worry about. It's also a good prompt to use the gears appropriately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re my earlier post. I collected my Up today and it drives like a dream and very quiet. So my wife's Up must be faulty as hers sounds like its a deisel compared to mine. I've booked hers into VW in a couple of weeks time hoping they will sort it. Hers was like it from day one, and was told it would be quieter after 2 or 3 hundred miles. She's now done 500 and it's actually louder. Now also has slight clunking noise during some gear changes so she's not happy. Hopefully VW will sort it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts