Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about engine noise, as I guess you are all aware as up! owners that the engine sounds quite 'raspy' and has since I got it brand new. Obviously a characteristic of the car! But now I've notice a slight tinny noise coming from the engine, mainly when I pull off in first and leave longer changes between gear changes (uphill etc).

Just wondering if this is anything to worry about or just a natural change in the engine. It's now 18 months old and done around 17500 miles! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Benny

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think i know what you're describing. When i first noticed this noise i thought the engine was pinking (misfiring). I can't explain why, but in my mind i've discounted this and now think it's another up characteristic. I've had cars that pinked many years ago and it's not quite the same sound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot AlanG, I'll keep an ear out for it incase it gets worse but hopefully it's nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Presume it is a characteristic as mine is the same. Weirdly it isn't as obvious with the windows open - so it make me think it is some trim panel or something in contact with the chassis, which is amplified inside the car.

I had a quick look at the heat shields and they all looked pretty secure in the engine bay, but might get mine up on the ramps on the drive this weekend to see if anything is loose underneath.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it's going into my VW garage today for a look over, I will report back once I hear any news!

·
Registered
851 Posts
bennnnyb said:
Thanks, it's going into my VW garage today for a look over, I will report back once I hear any news!
I'll bet you £5 to the penny that they say "Could not re-produce - no fault found".

·
Registered
44 Posts
AlanG said:
bennnnyb said:
I'll bet you £5 to the penny that they say "Could not re-produce - no fault found".

They will probably use the old British Leyland excuse.......

They all do that sir....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, what model do you have? My High Up! has the same problem, i read on the internet that this was generic with the High Up! model. I'm picking up my new Groove Up! next week will let you know if that has the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts