Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I didn't want to say anything but I thought I should share something and get yours opinions! So ever since owning my Up (last week) theres been a wee grumple from the engine. The engine sounds fine, its when you put your foot on the gas it makes like a funny low grindingy, struggling, grumply sound! It sounds worse when your in a high gear at a low speed. Once you hit 60 / 70mph it goes away!!

Is it just me? is it just the sound of the wee engine? is it something to be worried about? does anyone else have this sound? am I asking too many questions?? haha

thanks for any in put!

·
Registered
553 Posts
After reading a few posts by people who HAVE their up!'s

it seems you might not have adjusted the main thing required when taking delivery of you're up!
And that would be your driving style!!

It seems more revs are required when pulling away at any speed! 3 cyclinder engines don't have much low down grunt! so if you're in top gear doing less than say 50 you will probably need to drop a cog!

Edited by: M5 SUT

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting you should say that, when I test drove the up I noticed that there was a lot of noise when pulling away in first gear. I have been thinking about this for a while and am interested to hear your problem sounds similar to what I have experienced! I have not taken delivery of my car yet but will be interested to see if the problem re occurs! It did occur to me that the noise could be gear box whine but cannot tell!

·
Registered
59 Posts
its just intake noise, as you floor it thethrottlebutterflyopens drawing in more air. if the cardidn'thave anair-boxthe noise would be much louder, as above really drop a cog then floor it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
TakeUpWhite! said:
Interesting you should say that, when I test drove the up I noticed that there was a lot of noise when pulling away in first gear. I have been thinking about this for a while and am interested to hear your problem sounds similar to what I have experienced! I have not taken delivery of my car yet but will be interested to see if the problem re occurs! It did occur to me that the noise could be gear box whine but cannot tell!

Its not a problem at all, first off.. all cars wine in first gear, this is to do with the angle of the teeth on first gear and you shouldn't worry about it, its only when you start to get loud wining in all gears on a standard gear box that you need to worry. second... the Up! being a basic car wont have hug amounts off sound insulation so allot of noises from the engine you will hear in the cabin. With the 3 Cylinder engine, they make quite adistinctive noise, they do sound quite rough, very like half aporche911.

Edited by: george929

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im so glad reading your posts that its not just me, i think im just finding it difficult going from such a quiet car to something with a bit of sound! the noise doesn't sound like a mechanical issue, it just sounds funny!! Im thinking about getting one of those bonnet sound insulation things to see if that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
when I test drove the up! it was significantly quieter than my 12 year old polo... I was quite surprised!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have a similar noise Craig and can't say I'm overtly worried. I find its purely on driving style, for example if you labour the gearbox with lower speeds in 5th it appears. I think people need to use the gear shift indication with a degree of common sense...some new cars it is very intelligent, But on something small like the up! it needs to be used with thought...for example anything below 40mph in 5th the noise is likely. I will keep an eye on it but the rest of the cars performance is flawless so no biggie me thinks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Craig et al

Not noticed any gear box or hearing whines on mine.. not driven her hard though as yet.

When accelerating the car up through low gears my baby up! sounds JUST like a rattly old small diesel or old 2cv engine.. quite noticeable. I reckon this is due to it having just 3 pistons AND it being an easy breather engine... when you open it up it just gulps in the air and fuel.. and generally loses all grace and elegance. It just sort of grunts and 'Goes for it !!!'

As it does not have buckets and buckets of spare power lying around I guess that this is the compromise we have to live with. I found myself explaining all this to my wife the first time we went out together in the up! -- So it obviously registered in my cranium as a need to explain the weirdish noise. Once you get used to it then it just seems.. well.. normal

As soon as you back off at cruising speed [ surprisingly soon I would say for such a small car ] then the engine anddrive-trainbecomes whisper quiet.

TakeUpWhite! I reckon this is what surprised you on your test drive. It is verynoticeablewhen pulling away and as you are on a "Test" drive you are probably super sensitive to every twitch and ping.

VW MUST have tested all this out at length so I am not worried at all.

I'd equate it to mepedalingone of those Indian passenger trikes... I'd make a lot of noise accelerating away at lights or uphill, but be quieter on the level cruise !!

I assure you that I too would beunder-powered.

There would be a lot of ffffffffff***ing when pulling away from lights AND uphill !!!

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also have experience the engine noise, kind of reminded me of a diesel engine sound, also agree with previous comments that under certain driving conditions the 3 cylinder puffs a little harder until it reaches a comfortable driving speed, i'm starting to get used to it a little more now, but still a slightculture shock when i'm switchingbetweenour Polo Gti andthe Up!

·
Registered
619 Posts
The Up! engine does seem a little 'gruff' (when accelerating) compared to my old four cyliner car but, as others have indicated, this seems to be a characteristic of this engine. It seems to 'like' you to keep the revs around 2000 - 2500 rpm in each gear and you have to be prepared to change down from 5th gear to prevent the engine labouring. The gear change indicators seem a bit optimistic on occasion too.

Does anyone have access to power/torque curves for the Up! engine range?They may help...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im glad its not just me. I get really panicky when it comes to cars and problems, especially when its the engine involved. The sound just seems unhealthy to me, but like you's are saying, its the character of the 1 litre! Im going to try and ignore the gear indicator and drive how I would drive it and see if theres any difference!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think Craig that's the right idea - ignore the gear shift indicators until you are used to the car/engine.

My brief experience of driving the Up seems to indicate that the engine will make a lot of noise if you change too early or if you are 'flooring the throttle' in one of the higher gears (going up a hill say). I think most of the torque produced by this engine is at the high end of the rev range, so you have to keep it spinning for smooth progress.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Another thought - although you don't run these engines in, as of old, they will probably benefit from having a few thousand miles on the clock - quieter perhaps and more fuel efficient.

·
Registered
144 Posts
the gear indicator is pointless on my polo it just away of showing eco driving so ive been ignoring it on the up!

·
Registered
39 Posts
The noise you are hearing is the sound of a 3 cylinder
engine. I have a 5 year old Toyota Aygo which also makes a 3 cylinder engine
noise. I like the noise when you accelerate hard in the Aygo but the Up has a
much more refined noise due to more sound insulation.

·
Registered
128 Posts
lilsumo said:
im alsogettingthe low end grunt on my up! but it aint as bad as my polo thats for sure!

<div style="text-align: center;">Hey Lilsumo
<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: center;">It that low end Grunt got anything to do with the 2 large Jap Sumo Wrestlers you've got in the back ??..

<div style="text-align: center;">And is that sketch a true, in proportion drawing of YOU ??..

<div style="text-align: center;">Either way.. I'm not arguing

<div style="text-align: center;">Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts