Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took ownership of a new Up! just 1 month ago. The following day i needed to drive from Grimsby to Reading, so took the car on the motorway without trouble for around 250 miles. However on the ride back the engine started making a rattling noise, similar to something scratching everytime i touched the gas to maintain my speed. At the time i was doing 60 mph and it was noticeable over the radio.

Needless to say the noise has got stronger, and even the gearbox occasionally makes a clunk when i change gears. Ive been to VW and asked them to look into it. They sent me out with a mechanic in my car who agreed with my problem, however after leaving it with them for the day the car was returned to me and I've been told there was no problem, a girl in accounts has the same car which makes the exact same noise! *so there must not be anything wrong* (my bum).

The car now has done 2300 miles in the space of a month and the problem is just getting worse. I feel like crying because if i didn't need the car so much right now with moving then it would be returned. Instead i have to drive it now for another year until i can afford to change it, and looks like i need to get a second opinion from another dealership after reading some posts on here and possibly write to VW. I just feel so angry about the stress of sorting it on top of everything else. I don't know a car, cheap or otherwise which makes such noise and its embarrassing when driving past people as they look and i don't quite feel proud of driving the brand.

The problem mainly occurs after I've been driving at speeds above 50, or accelerate hard but it has made noise at anytime to be honest. I just thought people should know what they're buying.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I cant say I have had any problems with mine going over 50 at all and I drive alot of fast roads for long distances. However, I know you must be very worried even though your dealer has said the car is fine.

I would suggest contacting VW HQ by phone call as alot of people who have had issues whether minor or major have had them sorted very quickly by phoning them.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Ahh that's such a shame for you.

Go back to your dealers and kick and scream. Explain everything as above, including how you feel. Tell them if they don't sort it you will go straight to VW UK.

If they won't hep you, get an independent garage/expert to write a report and slap that on your dealers desk.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My up! Engine rattles a bit when I put my foot down to top up my speed. It goes as soon as I lift my foot off. It's just the characteristics of the little 3 cylinder engine.
However it's not something that has got any louder on mine, so perhaps something under the bonnet has just worked loose?
Hope you get it sorted..
Perhaps you could test drive another up! at a different dealer to help you compare a different car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response guys, they've been really good so far. Think i will try Basingstoke VW next, see if they can help as ill be moving in the area soon. Otherwise i'll write to VW Head office and see what they say about the problem, no point cutting corners..

Mark

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Mark. You must feel gutted. Is there any way you or a passenger can (safely) video the noise and post it here? It may help if others can say whether it's the same 'normal' noise they have, or a different one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As said before, you could test drive another up to help you compare a different car.
Come to Paris, there is one there !

·
Registered
51 Posts
Me too a bit - however I haven't got my up! yet so I can't say for sure.

However, if you add in all the other comments which have been made, eg
a) there is less soundproofing than normal
b) the noises seem to lessen when the car has done more miles
c) it seems to happen under acceleration
it could just be a case of it being a new car, all the components are new and have to mesh together and that takes time and mileage.

As I say I haven't got mine yet, but these just sound like normal running-in symptoms which bed-in with time and mileage.
Also may be a factor, how many of the contributors have actually had a brand new car before? Do they know what to expect? It isn't going to be like a getting a used car which has done a few thousand miles and is settled in its ways.

Try not to worry - and at the end of the day, it has a warranty and there is their VW reputation for them to think of.

Edited by: catman

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I doubt there is a fundamental issue... They have made loads of them, let alone the Skoda Citigo and the SEAT Mii...

It may be knocking caused by the fuel. It is easy to make an engine knock when it is small as it is easy to labour it!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
I doubt there is a fundamental issue... They have made loads of them, let alone the Skoda Citigo and the SEAT Mii...

It may be knocking caused by the fuel. It is easy to make an engine knock when it is small as it is easy to labour it!
The gear indicator tells me which gear to be in, I tend to be in that gear anyway, and I would assume it does not suggest I labour the engine. It used to sound a bit rough when pushed, a bit like a diesel, but it has calmed down over the last 5,000 miles, and I would not really say it sounds rough at all now. There is the odd gearbox clunk, infrequent, and always in lower gears. You do hear a clunk more often when the window is open. It could be that the way you change gear makes a difference. For me these are minor points. It does sound like a small number of people have had some serious issues, probably to be expected from any car. It is the response of VW that we should judge.

I imagine an engine like this one has been thrashed during development and testing. And VW are not new to 3 cylinder jobs either.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sorry... mean to upset anyone. guess always look at the positive side!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
i owned a 3 pot yaris before for couple of months and trust me the ups engine is far quieter and better in performance. its a typical 3 cylinder sound and i never follow the gear indicator because it cannot predict a hill up front where you actually need a lower gear lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi, I've see problem and my cars two weeks old..I'm dimented as had vw road side assistance out, which vw sent befor taking it in and he described it as 'pinking ' which only happens on old cars not new..took to garage, left it for four hours they rang to say nothing wrong so I drove another Up and no noise..at that point I said sort it or I'm handing car back. I have to use premium petrol for two weeks to see if itl ease problem as supposedly your not allowed to use standard petrol..I didn't know that.. I've got a video that I put near accelerator as I was driving, how do I upload as I'd like others to listen and see if its acceptable or it'd annoy others not just me as I waited four month for car so expect it to be perfect! x

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
vwooooo said:
hi, I've see problem and my cars two weeks old..I'm dimented as had vw road side assistance out, which vw sent befor taking it in and he described it as 'pinking ' which only happens on old cars not new..took to garage, left it for four hours they rang to say nothing wrong so I drove another Up and no noise..at that point I said sort it or I'm handing car back. I have to use premium petrol for two weeks to see if itl ease problem as supposedly your not allowed to use standard petrol..I didn't know that.. I've got a video that I put near accelerator as I was driving, how do I upload as I'd like others to listen and see if its acceptable or it'd annoy others not just me as I waited four month for car so expect it to be perfect! x
Sounds like your garage is a porkie merchant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
me too..might take it to other vw garage near me and get them to check it out.. I get cars make noises but when you need the radio on full blast to drown it out that to me is bad considering its two weeks old.. i know its there now and it's annoying.. apart from that I love the car!! first car..why did I buy new car!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I never follow the gear change indicator - I'm usually in a gear lower than it recommends. Petrol engines don't seem happy below 2k rpm so that's the sort of engine speed I aim for. I always change down before a hill rather than wait till the engine is really labouring on the hill. I seem to be getting great fuel economy - so it works for me!Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
113 Posts
If your engine is indeed pinking this is not acceptable. It shouldnt happen to any new engine with todays fuel and engine managment. What pinking does is to fire the plugs too early so your compresiion happens while on the upward stroke. This causes the pistons to rattle in the bores hence the noise. Eventually you will have worn bores and pistons, and even a hole in the top of the piston.
Its also caused by very poor fuel, you only need 95 octane so your dealer is talking rubbish. You need a second opinion and if they say its pinking then hand it back, call VW customer service and demnad a fix.

I hopeits something else, and you get it sorted soon.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts