Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I collected my brand spanking new High Up! two weeks ago. I e notices that from inside the car when accelerating that it sounds like a diesel, almost like the exhaust is blowing at the manifold. Now, I test drove two High Ups! before making my final decision and placing my order and I can say that I don't recall this engine noise. Ok, it's air to say that the salesman was chatting and the radio was on low but I didn't notice any noise. Is this normal for the Up!
Another snag is that I can hear the clutch working when I depress the pedal. There appears to be a sync problem. It goes into gear without a problem. I have noticed 400 miles in that the noise seems to subside when the engine and subsequent fluids have warmed up. One other small problem is that the seat belt aensor is acting up. It keeps displaying the seatbelt sign even when im strapped in. I had to undo and re-do it up 5 times yeatetday before the dash warning light went off. Anyone experience any of these problems please?
I have it booked in to the dealership tomorrow but wanted opinions if other Up! drivers first.
Thank you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most people think that a 3-cylinder engine sounds like a diesel. Several people on this forum have been writing about it and I think mine sounds like that too. I think it goes under the label "characteristics".

About the clutch I have the same thing and it's really annoying. I'm also taking it back to the dealer to find out if it's supposed to sound that way. Sure, it's a "budget car" but it wouldn't sound like that in my opinion.

I haven't had any trouble with the seat belt "sensor" yet though.

Hope you will be happy with your car after they've taken a look at it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Wenders,
The exhaust puffing noise you are hearing is quite normal for the Up. It is not a fault,or indeed an exhaust leak,But a product of a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine being laboured.Drop down a gear and the noise goes.When you have done about 1000 miles or so you can then start to use a few more revs.Our little engines are designed to be revved and once bedded in they really do start to fly.It took me some time to learn how to drive a small petrol car again, after a Diesel.
The gearboxes are very light units and you can hear various clutch noises...again not a problem....just the way they are.Again they smooth out with a few more miles on the clock.
You may have a fault on your seat belt,but your Dealer will soon be able to tell.Don't forget that the seats have a weight sensor in them, so if you ,say ,place a full shopping bag on the passenger seat...it will trigger the sensor thinking it is a person with no seat belt on.
Give your self time to bed all the mechanics in are I am sure you will Love your Up.They are great cars!
Hope this helps and alleviates some of you concerns.

Go well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Some call it diesel noise.
Others refer to it as half a 6 pot Porsche Boxer engine.

Regardless of what you want to call it, the up's triple engine note is quite particular.

Unfortunately, so is the clutch noise.
If it shifts OK, it'l be fine. Don't let them tamper with it.
They are all plainly noisy - certainly on the upshifts.
It's better when its warmed up, or when you match the revs during shifting, and may get slightly better with more miles (or one might get used to it more).

The seat sensor is quite insensitive - I've had upwards of 10 kg on the seat without it going off, not even on speedbumps which would definitely set off the seatbelt alarm in other cars.
Probably a loose contact.

·
Registered
957 Posts
UP! engine sounds like a Supermarine Spitfire

That used to fly as well !

·
Registered
448 Posts
Others refer to it as half a 6 pot Porsche Boxer engine.

Regardless of what you want to call it, the up's triple engine note is quite particular.

Perfect description!

Go well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I did think that the diesel sounding engine was related to the 1L 3 cylinder engine but just wanted to be sure and hear other Up! owners opinions. The clutch was something I also thought might fade as the miles clocked up so its reassuring to know that my new Up! Is quite normal.
The seatbelt issue is clearly a faulty connection/sensor which I have advised VW dealer is the case. When I'm sat in the seat and the instrument panel is telling me that my seat belt isn't plugged in, there is clearly a fault. The problem is, it's intermittent.
In hindsight I should have test drove in the dark because I couldn't believe that the daytime driving lights were far brighter than the side lights! All in all I am pleased as punch with my new car. I'm just a little anxious as I've never bought a new car before and like anyone, I just wanted it to be perfect.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I was told that sidelights are just for parking to be noticed and not for driving. I just switch my main lights on when the dash lights go dim.
My up also makes the engine and gearbox sounds and I've had it over a year now. They are certainly spritely little cars. 8o)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its a small cheap car. Its bound to make noises, even if its brand new. There is no sound deadening under the bonnet or on the bulk head. Even though these are usually small and don't look like they do much, they do take away a lot of engine bay compartment noises.

I'm half tempted to try and DIY some for our Up and see if it makes a difference. But then again when the radio is on you can hardly notice and the radio is always on.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wenders said:
In hindsight I should have test drove in the dark because I couldn't believe that the daytime driving lights were far brighter than the side lights!
Why would you drive with the side lights ?

If you want the rear lights to switch on with the DRL, that's possible with a little tweek to the car's software.

The regular lights are quite OK for halogen H4s , even despite customer reports they are not.

I just wanted it to be perfect.
At this sort of price , perfection is slightly out of reach

·
Registered
811 Posts
Derkie54 said:
UP! engine sounds like a Supermarine Spitfire

That used to fly as well !

I LOVE the noise it makes. Nice one!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I love the sound of the engine, rev it and it has a little roar. So best not done really for fuel economy reasons. It is something to do with the balance of 3 cylinders. 4 Cylinders can be balanced naturally, whereas 3 requires better engineering to reduce vibrations. Some 3 cylinder engines such as that in the Peugeot 1.7 and siblings are rather noisy, the Up engine is quite reasonable in my opinion. It is not really diesel like, but not unlike a Beetle. The 2 cylinder Fiat 500 engine is even more distinctive.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The 3 pot Up engine is great...and it's sound track.Vw have managed to do away with the "Lancaster balance shaft" by good engineering. The smoothest configuration is an in line 6 cylinder,and then amazingly a straight 17 cylinder! Imagine the length of the bonnet or the width of the car if transverse! I think Bugatti built one years ago as an engineering project.

Go well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Lancaster? 17-cylinder?

Lanchester?

Nick

·
Registered
811 Posts
Night Owl said:
The 3 pot Up engine is great...and it's sound track.Vw have managed to do away with the "Lancaster balance shaft" by good engineering. The smoothest configuration is an in line 6 cylinder,and then amazingly a straight 17 cylinder! Imagine the length of the bonnet or the width of the car if transverse! I think Bugatti built one years ago as an engineering project.

Go well.

I'd rather have a Lancaster than a Lanchester...

I agree here. I have a straight 6 Mercedes 300E, it's 25 years old but the engine is inaudible when pootling about and there is a complete absence of vibration. It makes a terrific rasp when I rev it though.

The straight 3 to me sounds more like a flat 6 and I love them. My wife's last 6 cars have all been 3 cylinder so I am something of an enthusiast here. In order they have been a Suzuki Swift, 2 Vauxhall Agilas, a VW Fox and then 2 Ups. In every case I have enjoyed the noise but the Up has by far the most smooth engine of these - and the best exhaust note. This is despite the lack of either a Lancaster bomber or a Lanchester shaft.

Edited by: Allybasher

·
Registered
179 Posts
Allybasher said:
Night Owl said:

Go well.

I'd rather have a Lancaster than a Lanchester...

I agree here. I have a straight 6 Mercedes 300E, it's 25 years old but the engine is inaudible when pootling about and there is a complete absence of vibration. It makes a terrific rasp when I rev it though.

The straight 3 to me sounds more like a flat 6 and I love them. My wife's last 6 cars have all been 3 cylinder so I am something of an enthusiast here. In order they have been a Suzuki Swift, 2 Vauxhall Agilas, a VW Fox and then 2 Ups. In every case I have enjoyed the noise but the Up has by far the most smooth engine of these - and the best exhaust note. This is despite the lack of either a Lancaster bomber or a Lanchester shaft.

Once again I find myself agreeing with Allybasher! We must be sound freaks. I just love that Up! rasp when the foot goes down. I had a Benelli 1130cc 3 cylider bike that sounded like a Formula One car and that too was music to my ears!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had an BMW 325 E30 many years ago and the sound that straight 6 cylinder engine did... It was pure joy and music for my ears. I almost never had the radio on, just listened to that engine.

But, even though they were extremely fun the engines never lasted long before they had to be repaired. I guess Mercedes do/did better long lasting engines.

Anyway, I did choose the Up! because it reminded me of the BMW. Metal feeling inside, stripped and good sound from the engine.Edited by: eightbits

1 - 20 of 45 Posts