Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst looking on my tyres for a steel wheel winter tyre package i was given a choice of two engine types for the VW Up 55kw, either type AA or type AAN.

Does anyone know what this AA and AAN means i cant find out anywhere on the internet, you can imagine every time i try to put AA into a search term what the results are.

Looking at my V5 it says the type is AA so i guess this is correct but i am still curious to know what it means.

Also any recommendations for a winter tyre/steel wheel package i am thinking of
<h4 style="-sizing: border-; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1.1; color: rgb68, 68, 68; margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; font-size: 1.1em; padding-top: 1em; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-color: rgb221, 221, 221; border-bottom-style: solid;">Continental<i style="-sizing: border-;">WinterContact TS 850[/i]165/70 R14 81T</h4>anyone have these or have a better recommendation.

I have to say the main reason for getting these is i dont want my Classics getting trashed any quicker than they need too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought these tyres last winter on the strength of AutoExpress reviews. They came second in the tests by a very small margin and as I already had Contis as original equipment, I went for their winter tyres. They weren't the cheapest (£479) but I bought them from the Wheel Shop, a local company with human beings who answer the phone! They also had an ebay shop. Their service was excellent and the tyres and wheels were delivered, mounted and balanced, to my door in a couple of days.

Last winter down here in tropical Kent, we hardly had any frost to speak of, let alone snow, so I only used them for 4 months, but they inspired confidence in heavy rain and as you suggested, they saved my Classics from the worst of the weather.

I hope that helps, sorry I can't throw any light on your AA query, save to mention that my car's chassis number has AA in the middle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You make a valid point about using a local company, i think i will speak to the guys that do my tyres see if they can put me a package together.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have Continental TS800 175 65 14 tyres on 14" rims as that is the size the next model down Mii has fitted. Again in Kent last year there was no snow, but they were great in the very wet weather we had.

I bought my tyres locally & got my wheels (but not the tyres) from my Seat dealer. My wheels are VW branded so you can try your local Seat, Skoda & VW dealer & see who you get the best price from.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did you pay for the steel wheels if you dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Can't say specifically as they were part of the car deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my steelies and winters through ebay for £300 last year. They were sold by the Tunbridge Wells Skoda/Seat dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts