Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Flo is back all fixed and I'm very happy with her.....apart from the engines idle is really quite wobbly. I can really feel it and passengers said they can too!
Are all up! Like this, am I being sensitive because she went wrong, or should the engine idle quite smoothly?
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Kindest of regards. Edited by: Bex831

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Can't comment about anyone else, but no wobble here.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've seen another thread on here about this. My own car sometimes gives a little hiccup when it first goes to idle, but then settles down. The up does have its peculiarities but only time will reveal if any of them are significant. It's a new car and its under warranty so I'm not going to worry.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It is a 3 cylinder, so it will wobble if it idle's too slow... Make sure to use good quality petrol like Esso/Shell/BP... That may help...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine feels like it may conk out when at traffic lights if not using the bluemotion facility. And sounds rough when accelerating in each gear. Dies this ease with increasing miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine sounds the same....like it might stall and when I excelerate up through the gears it's noisy and quite grunty sounding.
I'm not sure this is normal :-(

·
Registered
705 Posts
In my more normal style of driving an up! (not like driving the old StreetKa!), following the example of the gear change display, then the engine's quiet. But give it a bit more oomph, and the noise rises quite considerably, into a roar. My old 2003 3-cylinder Polo diesel was like that as well.

Nick

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi, I did notice a "bit-too-low" idle in my car too. But there is a difference also if you have the A/C on or not. If you have it off, the car goes to lower idle rpm than with A/C on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your responses.
I might take it back to the garage :-(
Just see what they say.
You are really helpful, this is a great forum!!
KR.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Engine idle is smooth in ours. In fact you sometimes wonder if the engine has stalled it is so quiet.
I would go to the dealer and start up their demonstrator to see how it compares.

When we had a test drive in our dealers demonstrator the engine was a smooth and as quiet at idle as the one we eventually bought. In fact the salesman made a big point about this during our test drive.

vup rider

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I shall pop in today!
Thank you, that really helps.
It just doesn't feel quite right if that makes sense.
Kr.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I've noticed it has got a LOT more refined as time goes on, we have done over 4000 miles in 2 months and it is settled down to a very smooth running vehicle...will hopefully take delivery of No. 2 in next couple of weeks so will have a direct comparison then!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did notice how quiet the engine was on my test drive, although I am changing from a vauxhall diesel which is like a tractor. Couldn't even here it running.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its quite normal that a 3 cylinder "wobbles" a bit, its a naturally unbalanced engine because of its small size and un even cylinder number. I work with smarts, both petrol and diesel on a daily basis, and all of them runs more rough and wobbly than engines with 4 or more cylinders :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I agree... I had a smart too!

The less cylinders you have, the rougher it will be...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Peder-Dingo said:
Its quite normal that a 3 cylinder "wobbles" a bit, its a naturally unbalanced engine because of its small size and un even cylinder number. I work with smarts, both petrol and diesel on a daily basis, and all of them runs more rough and wobbly than engines with 4 or more cylinders :)

That's not actually the case. The balance of a three is quite good, and the smaller the moving parts the better.

What makes a three cylinder unbalanced is the uneven firing intervals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-three_engine

I've had fives that are odd cylindered which are very smooth. Audi 2.0 engine.

Fours aren't very good as they have a mid range buzz.

You may notice that people comment about the up cruising quite quietly. Under acceleration the things get a little bit thrummy.

Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
705 Posts
A twin-cylinder can be smooth as well - think 90º L-twin, such as Ducati and Moto Guzzi. Or flat-twin, such as BMW or Citroën 2CV.

I had a KTM Duke 2 625cc single-cylinder. That would move around on the tarmac when it was first started, but it did smooth out a bit when it was warm. Both hands and nethers would be numb after around an hours riding, by which time I'd be looking for a petrol station as it only had an 11 litre tank. So fill-up, stretch and get life back in the numb parts! And start the whole thing over again.

Nick

·
Registered
532 Posts
My proper Duke was very vibrating being a 350 single. The 125 Yam I had was dreadful at high speed. RS125 two stroke. The larger capacity british four strokes were well known for being dreadful. The 850 commando had an engine that they let wobble about in he frame.

Threes are just great, Laverda, triumph.

My v twin morinis were fine. I''m not aware of any vtwin car engines. Lots of vertical fours that buzzed. I hated the Honda 400 and kawasaki 1000.

been there Nick.

Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes....popped into VW and they have said its just normal for a 3 cylinder to 'wobble' like that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ours is also wobbly but only I seem to notice it and also have occasional funny faint knocking which I have been told it nothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts