Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone no? is the engine a v w design or out of???????? its a bit rough n ready but goes ok for what it is
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
listerboy said:
does anyone no? is the engine a v w design or out of???????? its a bit rough n ready but goes ok for what it is
My view is that it is a very sophisticated little engine, designed for low cost and low fuel consumption. Without doubt it is an in house VAG engine. They have a lot of experience and resources. You may find the slightly rough noise improves as it wears in. Mine has lost the tractor sound, and now has a pleasant and unobtrusive roar when pushed in higher gears, and a nice whine when pushed in lower gears. Engine noise is not an issue. Road noise can be more than desirable though. Performance is far better than you'd expect from a 1 liter engine. It is no hot hatch, but neither is it a snail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
If it's anything like the 1.2 HTP Skoda 70ps engine in my Polo,it'll be a peach. Smooth,but pleasantly raucous when pushed,3-cylinder triples,wherever they come from,can be loads of fun.Incidently,in the Polo,60mph comes at 2500 rpm,and it gently cruises on the motorway well-I'd be interested in knowing how the Up's triple performs at the same speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leif said:
listerboy said:
does anyone no? is the engine a v w design or out of???????? its a bit rough n ready but goes ok for what it is
My view is that it is a very sophisticated little engine, designed for low cost and low fuel consumption. Without doubt it is an in house VAG engine. They have a lot of experience and resources. You may find the slightly rough noise improves as it wears in. Mine has lost the tractor sound, and now has a pleasant and unobtrusive roar when pushed in higher gears, and a nice whine when pushed in lower gears. Engine noise is not an issue. Road noise can be more than desirable though. Performance is far better than you'd expect from a 1 liter engine. It is no hot hatch, but neither is it a snail.
this i agree with it goes well for a 1l.... yesterday gordon murray... of mclaren f1 fame, and the designer of his own small city car came to my workshop to collect a car of his, he drove the up and loved it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
listerboy said:
this i agree with it goes well for a 1l.... yesterday gordon murray... of mclaren f1 fame, and the designer of his own small city car came to my workshop to collect a car of his, he drove the up and loved it!!!
May I be nosy and ask why you have a car belonging to Gordon Murray?

I reckon Gordon Murray's new city car could do with an Up engine. It is a nice design, very clever, but the engine could be the weak spot as surely mpg is a critical selling feature. James May wrote an article on Murray's city car, in a recent Top Gear magazine. I read it while waiting for my Up to be sorted by the dealer under a recall. It was a very interesting article, well worth reading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Leif said:
listerboy said:
this i agree with it goes well for a 1l.... yesterday gordon murray... of mclaren f1 fame, and the designer of his own small city car came to my workshop to collect a car of his, he drove the up and loved it!!!
May I be nosy and ask why you have a car belonging to Gordon Murray?

I reckon Gordon Murray's new city car could do with an Up engine. It is a nice design, very clever, but the engine could be the weak spot as surely mpg is a critical selling feature. James May wrote an article on Murray's city car, in a recent Top Gear magazine. I read it while waiting for my Up to be sorted by the dealer under a recall. It was a very interesting article, well worth reading.
May I be nosy also and ask what your recall was for? My dealer told me that they had some recalls, but my car was not on the list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Rednaxela said:
May I be nosy also and ask what your recall was for? My dealer told me that they had some recalls, but my car was not on the list.
Not a problem. I started a thread on this, but it is easily missed, as I wondered if anyone else had the recall. They said it was to tie down a cable near the ECU, to prevent it rubbing against something else. Quite why mine was recalled, but no-one else here has enjoyed a recall, is surprising although mine was an early import as it was the display model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Oh, ok. It's good to see that the recall system works. Good old preventative action.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top