Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 UP GTI Black w/ Sunroof
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe it.

I ditched the VW Beetle due to ongoing airbag light and other warning light faults that were driving me up the wall.
Now2 months into ownership, the UP GTi has come home today with EPC and Check Engine lights blazing. It also won't rev over 4K even if floored.
Gutted - bought this car to be free of the Beetle nickel and dime-ing me to death...and now I'm back in the muck again.

1) Any thoughts as to cause of both lights and limp mode, before I run it to dealer for diagnostics ?

2) What is the manufacturer's warranty on these cars - this one is a 19 plate. If still under warranty, is that warranty transferrable?

Appreciate your thoughts. Off to pour a whisky.

·
Registered
981 Posts
There's three years warranty, no matter who owns the car., so still in warranty until 2022.

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for confirming that. It might be a trip to the dealer, then. It's due its next service anyway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Other option is if you know anyone who has a generic OBD fault code reader, or even better VAG-COM (VW group specific aftermarket diagnostic tool).

I would be interested to know the fault codes (P codes) it has if the dealer will tell you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VAG-COM indicated P334B00 Charge Pressure Actuator - Mechanical Malfunction. Interesting to note that before plugging in the reader, we found a VW dongle hanging half-in and half-out of the OBD socket. Anyhow, dealer here we come. (strangely enough, even though we did not clear the codes, all lights went out on the drive back home...)

·
Registered
16 Posts
What a coincidence!
I've just had the same issue at work with an A1 (with virtually the same engine) exact same code (plus some extras as a consequence)
Issue was exactly as it said, charge pressure actuator was siezed as the car had been sitting around for a while before being sold, managed to free it off and everything was fine after that, so should be a fairly easy fix. I agree it should be taken in and dealt with under warranty though even if it has dissapeared, could be a wiring or sensor issue.
Apparently this was a fairly common issue with the 1.2 and 1.4 TFSI engines too, you'd think it would've been fixed by now!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes but not many going to be in that mileage bracket in three years......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE. Vehicle just back from VW. There was a TIB concerning the charge pressure actuator - it requires disassembly and a special grease applied; the fault is usually caused by inactivity - the actuator rod simply seizes in place. A word to the wise to any other GTI owners who have not used their cars much lately due to lock-down !

While there, they also sorted the rattling noise under the floor which others on this BB have commented on - fuel pipes rattling against the plastic undertray. One pipe had come out of its clip. Now nice & quiet, and runs great. Had 2 yr service done at same time, with everything else covered by warranty.

Now if I can just find some UP! GTI stainless sill covers...one has a nasty dent in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts