Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is normal or if I've blown something in the exhaust with use of higher revs, 2k miles 69 plate 60bp version, when driving on the motorway there's a very noticeable deep drone noise travelling from the exhaust through the boot area into the car, very tiresome and almost headache inducing even though it's not majorly loud.

Is this just the typical 3 cylinder characteristic exhaust note that I haven't taken much notice of before? I've tried adjusting the boot shelf to see if it makes much of a difference in the low or high position but no luck. Air filter box seems secure.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not typical at all. Something amiss....

Reactions: Barnsey

·
Registered
388 Posts
Agree with 911
Could the under boot floor liner be missing (sound deadening?)
Any impact damage visible ?
Under warranty so get it into a dealer, tell them IT IS NOT NORMAL. They will only refuse to fix it if there is signs of damage. Good luck and let us know

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Floor liner and adjustable boot floor both present, I'll get it booked in, have pushed down on air filter box just incase it had come a little loose as apparently this can cause issues with exhaust drone.

The drone is definitely coming from the boot not the engine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You say have only driven 2k miles in the car. Has it always droned or only just started doing it? Does it just drone on the motorway at say 70-75 or at lower speeds as well? If it has only just started, then your right to get it booked in.

Droning noises at motorway speeds are very subjective. Up/Mii/citigos with 60/75 bhp engines are noisy at motorway speeds compared to larger, bigger engined and more insulated cars.

I once had a replacement exhaust fitted that droned at a certain engine speed every time. Took it back, it was adjusted and the drone was gone.

Let us know how you get on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts