Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Move Up! has 64,000 miles on it now.

I'm just wondering when I'm going to have to replace the exhaust.

I'd rather put a genuine VW part on it, not a Kwik-Fit replacement.

Anyone know how long the Up! exhausts last?

Also, price of genuine vs generic replacement?

Thanks.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Depends how long you keep the car, as always.
2 years? buy the cheapest.
If the car was new-ish, and you wanted to have it for 5 years more, then stainless steel every time....

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think exhausts have improved as with most things these days. Years ago my MGB needed a new exhaust every two years, but my Smart was on the original exhaust and never needed a replacement in ten years. It also never needed a bulb changing, everything original.

It is true i had only done 10 000 miles in my Smart a 1000 a year so you could say it had only done one years mileage, but i still think it was excellent.

I hope the exhaust will last on my UP GTI as well as everything else, but lets face it once we are all driving electric cars, exhausts will be a thing of the past anyway.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We live in a part of Scotland where the roads are heavily gritted throughout the winter months, so you would expect early rusting issues. My wife's UP! is four years old now and the exhaust still looks new. My Vauxhall Mokka, bought new over eight years ago is only beginning to show signs of rusting, my son's Corsa is now nine years old, exhaust still in very good condition. I cannot recall having to replace any part of an exhaust on any car in the past 20 odd years, but prior to that, I changed a few, so looks like some things are improving in the manufacturing process.
Edit, sorry that was a bit off topic, but just highlighting that they do seem to last much longer now. In terms of OE or aftermarket, I doubt if there will be much difference in quality, you will just pay more for one sourced directly from a VW dealership. Pretty sure the original exhaust on the Corsa is Bosal, and they are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We live in a part of Scotland where the roads are heavily gritted throughout the winter months, so you would expect early rusting issues. My wife's UP! is four years old now and the exhaust still looks new. My Vauxhall Mokka, bought new over eight years ago is only beginning to show signs of rusting, my son's Corsa is now nine years old, exhaust still in very good condition. I cannot recall having to replace any part of an exhaust on any car in the past 20 odd years, but prior to that, I changed a few, so looks like some things are improving in the manufacturing process.
Edit, sorry that was a bit off topic, but just highlighting that they do seem to last much longer now. In terms of OE or aftermarket, I doubt if there will be much difference in quality, you will just pay more for one sourced directly from a VW dealership. Pretty sure the original exhaust on the Corsa is Bosal, and they are reasonably priced.
Pity brake discs are going the other way. Now they last about the same time as pads 🙄

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pity brake discs are going the other way. Now they last about the same time as pads 🙄
There's two types of disc I believe, had the "cheaper" ones didn't last. I may have been ATE can't remember without digging the invoices out that lasted 40k, they were guaranteed for 30K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts