Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i've recently bought a new set off alloys, the Offset now is 48, so i know i have to get wheel spacers.

What spacers should i go for in front and back?

My first thoughts was to get two set 15mm spacers, i want the nicest stance.

Any one with pictures af a car with 6,5*16" wheels and what ET wheels you are running thx. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The GTI has 6,5 inch alloys and the ET of 43, with 195mm tyres. They are 17inch, but offset issues are similar.
So you can look at the GTI if you like it with the et43.

I would try 5mm disc spacers for the front (no hub extension) and 13mm for the rear (standard). Not 100% verified by me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, ET 39 is correct. @Jeppiesh - here is a great website tool to help you size your wheels and tires to your specifications. You can go out and measure how much more you want your wheel to "stick out" using your current setup and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
The GTI wheels are listed on ETKA as being ET39, the other 17'' Up! wheels are ET43, both types are 6.5j x 17

On my other High Up! I've been running Audi TT 9-spoke replicas for a few years now, they are 7jx17 ET43 with 215/40 r17 tyres and fit perfectly with no rubbing and very little poke.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
You have to remember that real life tyre widths are different from different tyre makers. The differences on 205 can be even 20mm. Now I have 205 from Fulda, and they are 10mm wider than 215 from Falken!!! This is because manufacturers measure widths in different places.

So Falkens are narrow, I saw that Hankooks 205/40 are quite narrow/normal too. You can see this here on the bottom of the page.

https://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/16-gallery/1811-up-black-gunspeed-18.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
BTW for the GTI's 6,5 with rims I would be thinking about 195/45 size.

Not very popular size, but you can find few models.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also use https://www.wheel-size.com/.

As well as a excellent comparison feature (as willtheyfit) they also list fitments by vehicle type and model.

Up! GTI is listed as 43 offset.
I see others are saying the (I am assuming OEM) wheels on their car are 39. How was that number obtained, is it cast on the wheel somewhere?
Yeah, this is also a great website. Used it to help out choosing our C-class winter wheels and tyres. Weird that it has the wrong info for the Oswald GTI OEM wheel the GTI comes with as default (funnily enough called Brands Hatch outside of the UK market). As noted by others though, all the other 17” Up! wheels are ET43.

I got my information from the official Swedish government registration site for the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
They just made smaller ET for sportier looks in GTI Up.
I like this calculator too.

This is good to enter 175/60R15 size in WHEEL-SIZE calculator, then you can see all possibilities for the Up, including 15 inch alloys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, this is also a great website. Used it to help out choosing our C-class winter wheels and tyres. Weird that it has the wrong info for the Oswald GTI OEM wheel the GTI comes with as default (funnily enough called Brands Hatch outside of the UK market). As noted by others though, all the other 17” Up! wheels are ET43.

I got my information from the official Swedish government registration site for the car.
Thanks MP.
I also found a site listing the Oswald wheel and it's also ET39:
https://oemalloywheels.com/product/vw-up-gti-brands-hatch-1s0601025bn/

Sod's law the first site I found when I was looking at wheels had it wrong!

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
When I was running 7Jx16'' BBS RX2's on my Lupo GTI, I used 195/45 R16 Avons if I remember right, so a similar size will be just fine on an Up!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a direct answer to the OP's question. If you are looking for flush, a 7 inch width tyre with an offset of 35 should be extremely close to flush. It can be used as a reference point. You are looking to to be at about about 10mm greater poke out than the GTI Oswald wheel which has a 6.5 inch wheel with a offset of 39. willtheyfit.com is a perfect site to use (as mentioned) to calculate your wheel width and offset combination to achieve the 10mm greater poke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts