Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realised I'd tipped over to the " expert" status now, not really sure I am one....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
gary02tdi said:
Gemma you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
to much time on your hands

Or verbal diarrhoea
.

Anyway, according to a book I read a few years ago (Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps), women talk about three times as much as men on any given day. I think they quoted something like 10,000 words for women against 3,000 for men. So Gemma's only doing what comes naturally.

Add to that the fact that she works in a veterinary practice, the chances are she talks less at work than most of us who have predominantly human contact, ergo she HAS to make up for it when she gets home (well that's my theory anyway)
.

BTW, the book's a pretty interesting read for both men and women (written by Allan and Barbara Pease) and I'll guarantee if you do read it, you'll find yourself chuckling and nodding at all the things in the book that are exactly what your other half does. They've got some good theories on why too.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
killed 4 flys yesterday, 2 male and 2 female......how did I tell????

males were on a beer can and the females were on the phone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Privatedoc said:
killed 4 flys yesterday, 2 male and 2 female......how did I tell????

males were on a beer can and the females were on the phone!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
clowesa said:
Add to that the fact that she works in a veterinary practice, the chances are she talks less at work than most of us who have predominantly human contact, ergo she HAS to make up for it when she gets home (well that's my theory anyway)
.

She probably gets more sense out of the animals though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Manacee said:
clowesa said:
Add to that the fact that she works in a veterinary practice, the chances are she talks less at work than most of us who have predominantly human contact, ergo she HAS to make up for it when she gets home (well that's my theory anyway)
.

She probably gets more sense out of the animals though!

Yep, I'm with you there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
Privatedoc said:
killed 4 flys yesterday, 2 male and 2 female......how did I tell????

males were on a beer can and the females were on the phone!   
A bit of sexism on the forum that's what I like to see
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, no need for kneeling, or curtesing or anything like that... hahaha!

its funny, face to face iI'm definatly more of a listener not much of a talker, but get me online eg forums, email, msn, fb etc, and I talk talk talk.

yes, I definatly get much more sense out of animals than humans... well when I'm at work anyway! lol

I do post less now I have my up, but only because I like most of you tend to be out enjoying it if I can now...

Although I really must spend more time doing work I actually have deadlines for and not being on here still.... oh well!!

Oh and that book sounds great, might have to read it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Still, it's an impressive amount of posting
.And I, for one, enjoy wot u ryte
. (that was more painful to do than you could imagine for a retired proof reader and journalist
)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ummm... thanks! I think?

I try not to write things like "u" or "wot" etc...

retired proof reader and jouralist, that sounds like it could be interesting but at the same time, boring, all depending on what youre reading...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
whassup said:
Still, it's an impressive amount of posting
.And I, for one, enjoy wot u ryte
. (that was more painful to do than you could imagine for a retired proof reader and journalist
)

You know, no matter how hard I try, I just can't get into this texting type talk, it really kills me to even try abbreviating stuff. I do try to fit in with stuff like "deffo","well jel". "congrats", "cos" and all that kind of stuff but to be honest, I just feel a bit of a numpty
.

Am I sad, old, both or just plain normal for wanting to use the English language how it's supposed to be used (well, more or less)?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I think anyone older than me probably doesnt used text speak much, I am 26 and mobile phones and therefore text speak came about when I was at secondary school.

I do try to talk English properly, however certain words I tend to abbrviate, more out of laziness than wanting to use text speak... I'm also not very good at spelling lol
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top