Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if the subject has come up before; but I have just spent a stressful 3 months waiting to see if I would be able to drive again! I suffer from glaucoma and had to declare this on my 'Over 70' licence renewal. Things then got tricky. DVLA asked me to cut my licence in half and arranged an eyesight test with an optician of their choice. This eventually happened (fortunately locally) and I had a full check. If you aren't familiar with the Field test - you stare into this illuminated box and click a button every time you see a speck of light within your peripheral vision. Depending on how you come out of this, you can retain your licence - or have it taken away! Very tricky, as nerves, anxiety, etc all come into this and affect your result. I then waited (on edge) for about 2 months before getting a result. It was a good one and I can carry on driving my Up!

I don't want to go through that again...but will have to in 3 years time when renewal comes around!
Anyone else been through this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congratulations on the result. Two months for a result is ridiculous though :( Through my work I have to deal with medical assessments done for the DVLA for people aged 65 years+ and they chase us immediately for things we might have only received the day before... And yet they left you hanging for two months for your result.

I hate the field of vision tests. I always walk out with a thumping headache and spots everywhere in front of my eyes, and that's just as part of normal two yearly eye tests. Must be even worse with added anxiety that someone's going to take your licence away :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did email DVLA and asked if there were any results. They were reasonable enough and said they were still awaiting results from the testers which might or might not have been true. However, they said there was no need to chase them as I was legal all the while I was waiting and would be for a year. It wasn't a question of legality so much as one of whether I would still be a driver or not!

the test affects me too - although the DVLA one allows you to have both eyes viewing at the same time which helps a bit.

I'm a much happier bunny now but was a bit down for a while!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had this test at the opticians a few years ago. Apparently I was missing a lot of the dots at the top of the screen with my right eye. On the second visit to the hospital eye clinic they decided that I had a drooping eyelid which they taped up and everything was fine. If the result comes back as negative ask your GP to refer you. On the third and fourth visits they found no problem but said you need to come back for a fifth one(Government rules they said) Again they said nothing wrong but wanted me to come back a sixth time but I had to tell them if there is nothing wrong I won't be coming back and duly discharged.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
collos25 said:
Its the DVLA that takes the time not the optician.

I think you're right, collos25. The opticians were more than helpful and let me do the test with and without my normal glasses on and the best result was without specs. They told me that they couldn't see the DVLA having any problems with the result. DVLA took far too long in my opinion. Granted, they had to refer to my GP and eye consultant at the hospital for historical stuff; but how long does that take?! They need to be a bit more sensitive conbsidering some people's livelihood could depend on their decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts