Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
First time posting on the forum, even though I have had a UP for a couple of years now and having been lurking on the forum for modification ideas. However I've recently started my project on my VW Up (5 Door / 2015). One of the recent modifications include retro-fitting a GTI Spoiler from the Facelift UP onto my older model that turned out perfect.

However after parking in a multi-storey car park recently I came back to find that my rear bumper had been backed into. Even with no car park next to me I could tell the colour of the car as I had a white paint mark on the passenger corner near my parking sensor (I assume they did the damage and drove off in a hurry). Fortunately it isn't too noticeable after buffing a lot of it out, but it has left a series of parallel hairline cracks that looks like a spider web going around the rear corner the bumper. I assume these are flex marks where the plastic has bend back creating these hairline cracks but hasn't split all the way through.

I'm currently deciding whether I'm going to get this rear bumper repaired, because I'm wanting to fit a lower diffuser from a VW body kit on the rear bumper. I wanted to ask if anyone knew whether the newer Facelift UP's bumper would fit exactly the same on the Older Up's?

I've seen a user called 'JoelRD' achieve this, but not sure if any modifications had to be done for this to work. Hopefully it's as simple as taking the current one off and fitting the facelift bumper on with the same attachments:

https://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/16-gallery/7931-joelrd-s-vw-up-build-thread-3.html#post89533

·
Registered
13 Posts
Crappy news about being reversed into. I couldn't tell you from experience about the facelift bumper fitment, but I have seen it done a few times by others so I can't imagine it's too complicated. Would love to see the GTI spoiler and how you got one, I've been looking around for a spoiler for my mii.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems the new normal nowadays with car parks packing in spaces like sardines, It also doesn't help that cars are generally getting wider too. It will probably be a later project to sort the rear bumper out now, as I have a list of other mods I want to start or need to finish.

About the GTI spoiler, It was a case of contacting my local VW dealership and providing the part numbers. When you ask the dealership for parts they usually ask for your car license plate number, so they are then able to see a list of parts for your car. However since I have an older model and was only after the spoiler on the VW UP GTI, it wouldn't appear on their system. So I found the part numbers and ordered it that way.

The way it was fitted was actually getting it securely bonded to the body panel around the third brake light which is above the rear window. Usually on the UP GTI models there are three pre drilled screws either side of the third brake light, so all they have to do is secure it on with some bolts. But apart from that the third brake light panel is exactly the same on all UP models so it fitted perfectly. I presume that the body panel is also the same part on the Seat Citigo / Mii.

If you're interested I have a screen capture of the part list, all you need is to order Numbers 50, 51, 52. Everything else is irrelevant because you won't be able to bold it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem bud. Also about the cost just to purchase the parts isn't cheap for what it is, but at least you know it's a genuine VW part that has good build quality. Also as a bonus it comes already painted but in the colour black. So if you have a black car like I do, you're in luck because getting things properly painted isn't cheap.

I first contacted two different VW dealerships to give me a quote on a price to see if it varied. Long story short the price did vary depending on the dealership (for reasons I don't know) but the difference was only around £15. I then asked them to just order it in for me to have a look at. Since there is an upper and lower part that clip together to make the whole spoiler, I wanted to double check it would fit perfectly on the older UP model.

After seeing that it fit my UP perfectly I purchased the parts. Off the top of my head I remember it being around £195 for the upper and lower parts plus the bits and pieces for them. But will have to find the dealership receipt (if I still have it somewhere) to clarify a specific price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
First time posting on the forum, even though I have had a UP for a couple of years now and having been lurking on the forum for modification ideas. However I've recently started my project on my VW Up (5 Door / 2015). One of the recent modifications include retro-fitting a GTI Spoiler from the Facelift UP onto my older model that turned out perfect.

However after parking in a multi-storey car park recently I came back to find that my rear bumper had been backed into. Even with no car park next to me I could tell the colour of the car as I had a white paint mark on the passenger corner near my parking sensor (I assume they did the damage and drove off in a hurry). Fortunately it isn't too noticeable after buffing a lot of it out, but it has left a series of parallel hairline cracks that looks like a spider web going around the rear corner the bumper. I assume these are flex marks where the plastic has bend back creating these hairline cracks but hasn't split all the way through.

I'm currently deciding whether I'm going to get this rear bumper repaired, because I'm wanting to fit a lower diffuser from a VW body kit on the rear bumper. I wanted to ask if anyone knew whether the newer Facelift UP's bumper would fit exactly the same on the Older Up's?

I've seen a user called 'JoelRD' achieve this, but not sure if any modifications had to be done for this to work. Hopefully it's as simple as taking the current one off and fitting the facelift bumper on with the same attachments:

JoelRD's VW UP! Build Thread
Hi there,

hello I am looking at a vw groove up! I was looking at a few bits I wanted to do to it but I’m unsure if I can change the bumper. I really like the VW up GTI bumper but I’m not sure if the bumper will fit. I was wondering if anyone knew it can work? Really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good afternoon
The facelift bumper will fit just fine. I have a Skoda Citigo pre facelift and I have fitted a VW up facelift rear bumper and taillights.
I am also going to fit a tailgate with stock tinted glass from a VW up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

See my post above for the rear bumber @10797

1 - 8 of 8 Posts