Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my up! white the 7 miles home from work tonight in the pouring rain, and halfway home in slow traffic, there was a "bong!" from the dash and the coolant light started flashing...

I had no idea what it meant, and as it was too late to get to the dealer, I risked driving home and THEN looked in the handbook to decipher the light. According to the manual, it could mean a fault in the coolant system.

I'll take it in to the dealership tomorrow first thing, but I'm really disappointed that my lovely new baby has a problem already!I've only done about 500 miles!

Anyone else had this show up?

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is worth opening the bonnet to check the coolant level - if it is too low don't drive it !!
However, it is just as likely to be a sensor issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David - I'll have a look tomorrow, but as the light is flashing as opposed to staying on, the manual implies your second suggestion may be the case.

I can't see how the coolant would be too low with it being so new, but I will check - I promise!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
let us know what the dealer says and does for future reference, hope its just a minor thing :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

Well - even though the warning light wasn't in evidence this morning when I started the Up, I took it to the dealer to get checked out.

The coolant level was exactly where it should be (and a very fetching shade of pink, if I may say so...) so they took my car into the workshop to plug it into the diagnostic thingummajig whilst I was given a cracking cup of coffee and biscuits.

The result? Zilch. Nothing. Nada...! Apparently nothing showed up at all, and the salesman seemed somewhat dubious that I had even identified the right warning light! Now, I'm a bit dippy, but not THAT daft! He muttered something about perhaps it was a sensor glitch, and that they had run the engine and checked the cooling fan came on, but there were no obvious problems.

So - I was sent on my way with the instructions to keep an eye on it and come back if it happens again! I guess it must've just been a temporary glitch after all...

Still - I can recommend the coffee...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Sometimes modern technology is more trouble than it's worth.

Glad it's sorted for you and you got your caffeine fix

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Elb

You said the warning light was during a wet drive home - did you tell the dealer about the weather conditions?

I'm just wondering if rainwater had shorted the warning sender unit?? If so it would probably be something and nothing and a squirt of WD40 will repel future water.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did tell him it was peeing down with rain yesterday, because I couldn't see how it would overheat in such conditions, but he checked it for overheating. I think I'll do as you suggest though and give it a squirt of WD40 - I know we've got some at work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts