Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
High Up! 2011 4 door
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over three months ago I purchased a 2011 four-door High Up! here in New Zealand. It was imported from Japan and has around 50,000 km on the clock.

A week ago the transmission light started coming on and the gearbox would seize up. I took it to a VW service agent and they ran diagnostics and told me that they will have to replace the gearshift actuator unit. The cost for this is NZD 3,300 (EUR 1840, GBP 1650).

I'm following this up with the dealer to see what sort of warranty I might have, but I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Is this part available second-hand (there are very few Ups! here in New Zealand).

Thanks for any help,

Paul

·
Registered
286 Posts
What sort of consumer protection laws do you have in NZ? Was the car bought privately or from a dealer? In the UK, if a fault develops in a used car within 6 months of purchase from a garage, then the garage must prove that the car was of satisfactory quality when sold to you.

Sounds like an expensive repair. Can you buy the necessary part second hand or even buy a second hand gearbox and get that fitted instead?

Good luck!

·
Registered
High Up! 2011 4 door
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What sort of consumer protection laws do you have in NZ? Was the car bought privately or from a dealer? In the UK, if a fault develops in a used car within 6 months of purchase from a garage, then the garage must prove that the car was of satisfactory quality when sold to you.

Sounds like an expensive repair. Can you buy the necessary part second hand or even buy a second hand gearbox and get that fitted instead?

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. I purchased from a dealer so I'm checking out what my legal rights are (I don't think they are as robust as in the UK but we do have some protection).

There are so few of the Up! here in NZ that there aren't any second-hand parts available, unfortunately.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just over three months ago I purchased a 2011 four-door High Up! here in New Zealand. It was imported from Japan and has around 50,000 km on the clock.

A week ago the transmission light started coming on and the gearbox would seize up. I took it to a VW service agent and they ran diagnostics and told me that they will have to replace the gearshift actuator unit. The cost for this is NZD 3,300 (EUR 1840, GBP 1650).

I'm following this up with the dealer to see what sort of warranty I might have, but I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Is this part available second-hand (there are very few Ups! here in New Zealand).

Thanks for any help,

Paul
Maybe, a little late. Genuine VW up SKODA Citigo Seat Mii ASG Auto Clutch Actuator 0CT142056D for sale | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I purchased from a dealer so I'm checking out what my legal rights are (I don't think they are as robust as in the UK but we do have some protection).

There are so few of the Up! here in NZ that there aren't any second-hand parts available, unfortunately.

Cheers
Hi

Just checking in if you got this sorted / what parts were replaced ? i too have an UP with the flashing N and no start, would like to know what was changed on your end / resolution etc

Cheers and thanks

Hylton

·
Registered
915 Posts
N.B. I believe there are separate actuators for the clutch and for the gearshift. If buying parts from eBay, be very sure you are replacing the correct assembly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
N.B. I believe there are separate actuators for the clutch and for the gearshift. If buying parts from eBay, be very sure you are replacing the correct assembly!
Hi

The code from the tcm indicates its the selector mechanism and when actuated via vcds, it moves but never provides feedback thats its movement was successful and correct, whereas the clutch unit provides this and a visual check confirms the clutch moves as expected, seems pretty straightforward to remove and replace and use the software to place it in the correct position for installation prior to assembly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts